Advice for businesses
We understand that if you run a business in the city, the COVID-19 situation is likely to be very concerning. Get practical reopening advice and guidance based on government guidelines.
Reopening your business
Businesses that can reopen will need to follow the guidelines for keeping workers and clients safe during Covid-19 in close contact services.
All business will be expected to:
- Undertake a risk assessment (a template can be downloaded at the bottom of this page)
- Implement safety measures to keep staff and customers safe
Go to our general public safety information page.
Find out how to make your workplace COVID-secure
GOV.UK has 14 guides which cover a range of different types of work and businesses. You can find the guide appropriate for your business using the link below:
- For further advice on social distancing (food businesses), send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General food hygiene information can be found on our food hygiene and safety page.
You will need a licence from us if you want to provide alcohol, entertainment or late-night refreshment in the city. It is an offence to carry out these activities without authorisation. Use the following links to find out more:
To support local businesses there is an addition of temporary street cafe licence which will enable you to provide outdoor seating on public highway, in line with our terms and conditions. This process is regulated under the Business and Planning Act 2020. Use the following links to find out more:
For guidance and changes for taxis, use the links below to find out more:
Close contact services
We have put together the following advice for businesses who provide close contact services including hairdressers, barbers, beauticians, tattooists, sports and massage therapists etc.
Further guidance can also be found at:
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - managing risks and risk assessment at work
- GOV.UK - full guidance
If you need any further advice, please contact the Public Safety Team by email: email@example.com.
You can find downloadable materials below.