Business support grant funding
We are administering grants on behalf of the government to support businesses.
Grant payments update
The business grant programmes are now all closed.
Over £140m of grant funding has been paid to Leicester businesses to support them during the pandemic.
The Additional restrictions grant funding available to the council for discretionary grants has been distributed to businesses and no further grants are available. For information, details of the discretionary grant schemes over the course of the pandemic can be seen on the Additional restrictions grant page.
As all the funds have been paid to businesses, no further grants can be claimed and no new applications are being taken. The various grant schemes that have been available from November 2020 to June 2021 are shown below for information.
The additional restrictions grant was a discretionary fund to help meet local needs and priorities not covered by the mandatory national lockdown grants. Leicester received a total of £12.5m from the government, which has been paid to businesses.
Applications for the restart grant closed on 30 June 2021.
To support the recovery as restrictions on businesses are relaxed, a one-off 'restart grant' has been paid to non-essential retail businesses and hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym businesses that have been receiving on-going lockdown grant payments. An equivalent discretionary grant has been paid to businesses that have been receiving on-going discretionary grants.
The grant amounts are:
Non-essential retail properties:
- Rateable value of £15,000 or less: a grant of £2,667
- Rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000: a grant of £4,000
- Rateable value of £51,000 or above: a grant of £6,000
Hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym properties:
- Rateable value of £15,000 or less: a grant of £8,000
- Rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000: a grant of £12,000
- Rateable value of £51,000 or above: a grant of £18,000
The government has provided a detailed list of eligible business types within each sector - view detailed list (PDF).
Rate paying businesses that are legally required to close, and which have received the lockdown grant payments to 15 February 2021, are also entitled to receive the national lump sum grants recently announced by the government. These grants have been paid. The grant amounts are:
- £4,000 for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under
- £6,000 for businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- £9,000 for businesses with a rateable value of over £51,000.
The one-off £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led' pubs has now closed.
The local restrictions support grant provided grants every 14 or 28 days during lockdown periods from 5 November 2020 to 31 March 2021 for businesses legally required to close. Lump sum grants were also payable in January 2021. There was also a grant for businesses in the hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors that were allowed to remain open from August to November 2020. All of these grant schemes have now closed to new applications, the final closure date being 31 May 2021.
Other available grants
- Shop front improvement grant
- Cycle challenge grants
- Street café furnishings grant
- Green BELLE energy efficiency grant
- Business active and sustainable travel grant
- Find out about grants available on the LLEP Business Gateway website