Business support grant funding
We are administering grants on behalf of the government to support businesses.
Get support now
Support grants are available for businesses which are affected by local restrictions or national lockdown. Your business may be able to apply for one or more of these grants:
Local restrictions support grant (closed businesses)
Local restrictions support grant (open businesses) - for the hospitality, accommodation and leisure sectors, and small food/drink suppliers to those sectors. Please note that businesses that occupy retail shops are not eligible and should not apply for this grant
A one-off £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led' pubs whose income is not mainly driven by food sales, to help businesses missing out on Christmas trade. Applications must be made by 31 January 2021.
Please note that BEIS (the Government Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) will be given access to the relevant data in your application. BEIS will store it securely and process it for monitoring and evaluation purposes only. This includes, but is not limited to, follow up evaluation surveys relating to the business support grant schemes.
Tier 3, 4 and 2021 lockdown grants
Eligible businesses closed or affected by the tier 3 restrictions from 2 December 2020, and the tier 4 and national restrictions from 31 December 2020 are entitled to grants every 14 days. Applications are usually not required, as they will be paid automatically to businesses that have applied for and received one or more of the grants above. Payments will start week commencing 11 January and will be backdated to 2, 31 December or 5 January/February lockdown grants as per the rateable value as shown below:
Tier 3 closed (2 December to 30 December 2020)
- £0 to £15,000: £667 fortnight - 29 days = £1,381.64
- £15,001 to £50,999: £1,000 fortnight - 29 days = £2,071.43
- £51,000 and above: £1,500 fortnight - 29 days = £3,107.14
Tier 3 open (2 December to 30 December 2020)
- £0 to £15,000: £467 fortnight - 29 days = £967.36
- £15,001 to £50,999: £700 fortnight - 29 days = £1,450
- £51,000 and above: £1,050 fortnight - 29 days = £2,175
Tier 4 (31 December 2020 to 4 January 2021)
- £0 to £15,000: £667 fortnight - 5 days = £238.21
- £15,001 to £50,999: £1,000 fortnight - 5 days = £357.14
- £51,000 and above: £1,500 fortnight - 5 days = £535.71
January lockdown (5 January to 15 February 2021)
- £0 to £15,000: £667 fortnight - 42 days = £2,001
- £15,001 to £50,999: £1,000 fortnight - 42 days = £3,000
- £51,000 and above: £1,500 fortnight - 42 days = £4,500
For further information see our open and closed business support grants policies attached below.
Nightclubs and adult entertainment venue grants
Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues which have been closed since March are also eligible for grants from 1-4 November and then every 14 days from 2 December. These businesses should apply for the local restrictions support grant (closed businesses) for a grant to cover the national lockdown from 5 November to 2 December. Ongoing payments will be made automatically for each 14 day period, starting in January and backdated to 2 December.
For further information please see our sector business support grants policy attached below.
One-off top up grants for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses
On 5 January 2021, the Chancellor announced new one-off top-up grants for legally closed retail, hospitality and leisure businesses. Payments are expected to be made automatically to most eligible businesses later in January.
- £4,000 for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under
- £6,000 for businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- £9,000 for businesses with a rateable value of over £51,000
The following grant will be available soon.
Support for businesses which have been severely affected by the national and local (Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4) restrictions and are not eligible to claim a grant under the other available schemes.
The grant will be used to support businesses severely impacted by the restrictions. The council can determine which businesses are eligible, within rules set by the government. In Leicester, the grants are likely to be targeted at businesses that are not eligible for the other schemes, or where there is a particular need for funding over and above those schemes. It can also be used for business support schemes to help economic recovery and sustainability more generally. The government is providing us a fixed amount of money now through to March 2022. For that reason we will be releasing funding in phases.
The Council is seeking the views of business sector representatives on how the funding can best be used. Applications are expected to be invited in phases, starting in January 2021.
The funding is however already being used alongside the open business grant to fund payments to eligible businesses during national lockdown periods.
Other available grants
- Shop front improvement grant
- Cycle challenge grants
- Street café furnishings grant
- Business active and sustainable travel grant
- Find out about grants available on the LLEP Business Gateway website