Household Support Fund
This government grant aims to support households most in need this winter. It runs until 31 March 2022 with referrals open until 14 March 2022.
What is the fund?
This is a national scheme to give financial support to households struggling to make ends meet this winter.
Can I apply myself?
You can apply yourself if you need help only with:
- energy bills (including heating, cooking, lighting and water).
You may be referred
A professional will refer you if you need help with food or energy bills and any of the following:
- support with gas, electricity and water bills, or historic debt on these bills (including sewerage)
- essential kitchen equipment (cookers, fridge freezers, microwaves and washing machines)
- other essentials (warm clothing and bedding)
- in exceptional cases, support with housing costs.
Am I eligible?
The scheme aims to support Leicester residents who are on a low income and facing financial hardship. You will be asked to provide evidence of your circumstances, such as your last two months' bank statements and a recent energy bill showing how much you owe. Please have these ready to upload with your application form.
We will assess your application and email you to explain our decision. If you were referred by a professional we will also email them.
I cannot claim public funds. Can I apply?
People who cannot claim public funds are not eligible to apply for this grant.
There are some exceptions: for example, where someone has community care needs, serious health problems or there is a risk to a child’s wellbeing.
In these cases please phone 0116 454 1004 and ask for Children’s Services Duty and Assessment Team (for families with children) or Adult Services Duty and Assessment Team (for individuals and couples without children).
How long will this scheme run for?
The scheme will operate between 18 November 2021 and 31 March 2022, unless funding is used up before this date.
We will accept all applications up to 14 March 2022.
How will I receive support?
We will look at the information in your application to see what support you need.
If your application is successful, your award will be made in the following ways:
- an e-voucher for food, clothing and bedding. This will be a contribution towards your spending on these items, not a replacement for your entire budget
- an e-voucher or credit onto your bill for gas, electricity, district heating, water/sewerage
- cookers, fridge freezers, washing machines and microwaves will be delivered. These could be re-used items
- rent payments will be made directly to your rent account or landlord.
Where can I use my food e-vouchers?
If you are awarded an e-voucher, you will need to go online to convert this into a gift card from one of the following supermarkets. You can then spend the gift card in store.
- M&S Foods
- Company Shop Group
Find out how to use your e-voucher (PDF).
Can I apply more than once?
You can make up to three applications for food before 14 March 2022.
All other awards (such as rent, energy costs, equipment) are intended to cover the whole period of the scheme and we will refuse any second applications for these.
How do I apply?
You can apply online for help with food, and energy or water bills. You can also ask a family member or friend to apply on your behalf.
If you also need help with historic energy or water debt, white goods, warm clothing or bedding, a professional has to apply for you. Contact one of the following:
- your social worker (if you receive support from one)
- your child’s school (if you have a child at school)
- your housing officer (if you are a Leicester City Council tenant)
If you do not have any contact or support from these services, or if you need help to complete the form (for example, you do not have online access or need language support), contact Citizens Advice Leicestershire on 0808 278 7970 (9am – 4pm, Monday to Friday), or visit their website.
We are accepting all referrals until 14 March 2022.
Will there be any changes to the grant?
If we need to make any changes, an updated policy will be published on this page. All applications received the day after any published changes will be assessed in line with that updated policy.
What other help is available?
We offer a range of advice and support to city residents who need support during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Get help to pay your fuel bills
- Get support with your housing costs or council tax
- Get help with insulation and heating measures.
We must make sure that all applications are made legitimately.
If you falsely declare your circumstances, provide a false statement or provide false evidence in support of your application, you may have committed an offence under the Fraud Act 2006.
We have a zero-tolerance approach to fraud and financial irregularity. All suspicions of fraud relating to this scheme will be referred to Leicestershire Police.