Skip to content

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund is open for referrals from 9 May to 4 September 2022. The grant is funded by the Government to support people most in need of help with rising living costs.

How can I get help?

You cannot apply to the fund yourself. Funds are limited and the Government has changed how councils are required to target them.

If you are a pensioner receiving pension credit, we will send you a voucher which you can redeem at any post office. Lower income pensioners may need extra help with food and energy costs over the summer.

The only other way to get help from this fund is to be referred to us. At the moment we are taking referrals from the following Leicester City Council teams:

  • social workers
  • neighbourhood housing officers
  • housing related support workers
  • income management officers
  • city schools.

If you are struggling with money and would like to get help from the fund, talk to your social worker or child’s school, if you have one. Council tenants can speak to housing officers.

If you are unable to obtain a referral from any of these services, email or if you do not have email access, please call 0116 454 1019, Monday to Friday between 10am and 3.30pm.

We intend to expand the number of referring organisations soon.

I cannot claim public funds

People who cannot claim public funds are not eligible for this grant.

There are a few exceptions: for example, where someone has community care needs, serious health problems or there is a risk to a child’s wellbeing. These referrals can only be made after you have had a social care assessment from the Persons from Abroad team.

What could I receive?

We will look at the information in your referral to see what support you need. Any support you receive is a contribution, and not a replacement for your entire budget.

If you are referred, you can receive help with food and bills (electric, gas and water), plus any of the following: 

  • essential kitchen equipment (cookers, fridge freezers, microwaves and washing machines) if you have not received the same item from any council funded scheme in the last 12 months
  • school uniforms (only available through your child’s school)
  • in exceptional cases, support with housing costs.

You can only receive a single award, per item for the duration of the scheme.

Your award will be made in the following ways:

  • an e-voucher for food
  • an e-voucher or credit onto your bill for gas, electricity, district heating, water/sewerage
  • cookers, fridge freezers, washing machines and microwaves will be delivered. These could be re-used items
  • in exceptional cases, rent payments will be made directly to your rent account or landlord
  • an e-voucher for school uniform.

Where can I use my food e-vouchers?

If you are awarded an e-voucher, you will need to go online to convert it into a gift card from one of the following supermarkets. You can then spend the gift card in store.

  • Aldi
  • Iceland
  • Morrisons
  • Tesco
  • Sainsbury’s
  • Asda
  • Company Shop Group
  • Farmfoods

Find out how to use your e-voucher (PDF).

How do I redeem my gas/electricity e-vouchers?

If you pay for your gas or electricity via Paypoint, your e-vouchers will be emailed directly to you or a trusted family member or friend. If you do not have an email address, we can send them by text message.

You will need to redeem these vouchers at a Paypoint within five days of the date of issue or they will expire.

You are advised to redeem your e-voucher at a larger PayPoint outlet. If you have trouble redeeming your voucher, phone PayPoint on 0330 400 0000 or email

How will the funding be distributed?

The funding will be used in the following ways:

  • Applications submitted through council teams mentioned above
  • Funding to community food banks
  • Food support towards the May half term
  • Food support for children who have special disabilities and needs (SEND)

Will there be any changes to the grant? 

If we need to make any changes, we will publish an updated policy on this page. All applications received the day after any published changes will be assessed in line with that updated policy.

What other help is available? 

We offer a range of advice and support to city residents:

Preventing fraud 

We must make sure that all referrals to this fund are made legitimately.

If you falsely declare your circumstances, provide a false statement or provide false evidence in support of your referral, you may have committed an offence under the Fraud Act 2006.

We have a zero-tolerance approach to fraud and financial irregularity. All suspicions of fraud relating to this scheme will be referred to Leicestershire Police.