Personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies
Information and advice on the supplies of personal protective equipment during the coronavirus outbreak.
Before ordering equipment, please read the current guidance on the links below:
- Infection prevention and control in adult social care: COVID-19 supplement - GOV.UK
- Guidance on PPE - GOV.UK
- Guidance for people previously considered clinically extremely vulnerable from COVID-19 - GOV.UK
What steps should I take to order PPE?
- If you employ a personal assistant, or have an unpaid carer, you can access the government PPE portal.
- If you are a eligible provider, you can order PPE via the Government PPE portal.
Personal assistants/unpaid carers
Personal assistants and other care staff should use PPE when caring for you during activities that bring them into close personal contact, such as washing and bathing, continence support, assistance with eating and drinking and when in contact with bodily fluids, whether or not you develop symptoms of COVID-19.
If your personal assistant is employed by a care agency, they will get their PPE from their care agency.
The Government are now supplying personal protective equipment free of charge to your personal assistant/s or your informal carers.
We sent letters to unpaid carers and people who use a direct payment to explain how they can register to receive the free PPE. If you have not received this letter please email email@example.com.
Once you have registered, you will be sent details of how to order the PPE you need.
If you have any questions about what you can order, need any support with registering or do not have access to the internet, please call the Department of Health and Social Care on 0800 876 6802. Their customer services team will be able to help you and is open every day between 7am to 7pm.
Government PPE portal - providers
The government has recently expanded the range of providers who can access the PPE portal:
The PPE portal can be used by:
- residential social care providers
- domiciliary social care providers
- children’s care homes and secure homes
- all special schools and special post-16 institutes
- community drug and alcohol services
- residential drug and alcohol services
- independent sector providers (ISPs) providing NHS services
- vaccination sites and vaccination centres
- mental health community care
- domestic violence refuges
- rough sleeping services
- extra-resident unpaid carers (an unpaid carer who does not live with the individuals they care for)
- an adult social care service that is not registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) (supported living, extra care, shared lives and so on).
We sent letters to providers eligible to access the PPE portal. If you have not received this letter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have registered, you will be sent details of how to order the items you need.
If you have any questions about what you can order or need any support with registering, please call the customer services team at the Department of Health and Social Care on 0800 876 6802. The team is available every day between 7am to 7pm.
FFP3 respirator fit testing
The LLR offer for FFP3 respirator fit testing has now ended. This means that you can no longer book in for this service on the online portal.
If you are in urgent need of mask fit testing, please contact email@example.com and we will try to help.
If you have been unable to access PPE through any of the above channels and you need an emergency supply of equipment please follow the below options:
- If you are unable to source PPE through the DHSC and are a Leicester City Council contracted provider, please contact your assigned contract officer and inform them of your requirements. They will then be able to discuss your PPE requirement and facilitate an emergency supply of PPE although you may need to collect it.
- If you are not a contracted provider or your request/need is ‘out of hours’ please email firstname.lastname@example.org who will then contact you to discuss your requirements.