Skip to content

ECO (Help to Heat)

This scheme has now closed. Details on the next phase will be available soon.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a central government energy efficiency scheme available throughout Great Britain. Its aim is to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty by improving the energy efficiency of homes occupied by low income, fuel poor and vulnerable households.

The government has made it a requirement that the large energy suppliers provide the funding to pay for the energy efficiency improvements to your homes. The funds are passed directly to the ECO providers or installers who must be a PAS2030 or TrustMark accredited company to be able to install energy efficiency measures in your home.

Ofgem administers the scheme on behalf of the Department for Energy, Business & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).  Ofgem’s duties include allocating targets to obligated suppliers, monitoring supplier progress and deciding whether they’ve achieved their obligations, reporting to the Secretary of State, auditing, ensuring compliance and preventing and detecting fraud. BEIS sets the overall policy for the ECO scheme.

The following improvements are available under the scheme, but only if your property is suitable for them. If you already have an improvement and it’s in good order, then you won’t be able to receive it again.

  • Loft insulation
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Gas boiler replacements
  • Oil boiler replacements
  • External wall insulation
  • Internal wall insulation
  • Room in roof insulation
  • Underfloor insulation
  • Electric storage heaters.

Low income households who are in fuel poverty qualify for ECO. To qualify you will need to be in receipt of benefits and live in a property with a low energy efficiency rating. There might be some income thresholds you need to meet. For more information visit the Ofgem website.

If you do not receive a qualifying benefit then you might still qualify through ECO’s flexible eligibility mechanism, known as ECO Flex. The ECO Flex criteria is set by local authorities based on their knowledge of the households in their area.  

Our role as the council is to confirm if a household is in fuel poverty based on the criteria detailed in our ECO Flex - Statement of Intent which is published on this webpage. On confirmation of eligibility, we can provide a Local Authority Flex Declaration to an ECO provider/installer which they use to claim back the installation costs from an Energy Suppliers’ ECO Funds.

All householders accepting the installation of energy efficiency improvements to their homes are responsible for instructing/hiring the installer and must carry out their own checks on the installation company. Checks you should carry out:

  • Check if you need planning permission or building regulations approval: Certain types of insulation such as external wall insulation might need planning permission and building regulations approval and as the homeowner it will be your responsibility to apply for this.
  • Check if the installer is a member of a competent person scheme related to electrics or insulation work, like the NICEIC, CIGA or Stroma schemes. If they are then they will be able to self-certify their work, rather than needing to get building regulations approval from your local council.
  • Check they are Gas Safe registered. By law all engineers installing gas boilers must be on the Gas Safe Register.
  • Check if they provide any warranties on the installation.

Please note: These companies are not contracted by us and are not working on the council’s behalf.

All householders accepting the installation of energy efficiency improvements to their homes from one of the below companies do so at their own risk and should carry out their own checks on the installation company before proceeding.

If you are not in receipt of an ECO qualifying benefit and wish to see if you are eligible for ECO Flex, you will need to contact one of the below companies for an assessment. They will then apply to us on your behalf.

Each company will be able to tell you which type of home improvement they specialise in, some only provide insulation, whereas others might offer a whole range of improvements. Most companies have a website where you can find out more about them.

The following installers and ECO providers can currently receive LA Flex Declarations from us:

  • A & M Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Absolute Solar Ltd 
  • Alba Insulation Ltd 
  • All Seasons Interiors Ltd 
  • Area ECO 
  • Arktek Group Ltd 
  • Baxter Kelly Ltd 
  • B-Eco Smart 
  • Berks Insulation Ltd 
  • Breakspeare Energy Ltd 
  • Broad Oak Properties Ltd 
  • City Energy Network Ltd 
  • Clear Blue Gas Ltd 
  • Commercial Improvements Ltd 
  • Direct Savings Ltd 
  • DJB Installs Ltd 
  • Dyson Energy Services Ltd 
  • ECO Grants UK Ltd 
  • ECO Specific Ltd 
  • ECOWarm Energy Ltd 
  • Effective ECO Ltd 
  • Effective Home Ltd 
  • Ellipse Energy Ltd 
  • Energy Efficiency Group Ltd 
  • Energy Savings Group Ltd 
  • Energy Saviour Ltd 
  • Energy Specifics Ltd 
  • Euro Installations Ltd 
  • Evolve Home Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Free ECO Funding 
  • GoGreen Alliance Ltd 
  • Golden Globe Merchants Ltd 
  • Green Deal First Ltd 
  • Green ECO Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Green Home Plans Ltd 
  • Green Home Systems Ltd 
  • Greener Skies UK Ltd 
  • Improveasy Ltd 
  • Installeasy Ltd 
  • Install Energy Services Ltd 
  • Installers UK Ltd 
  • J&J Crump & Son Ltd 
  • JM ECO Installers Ltd 
  • Knowle Engineering LTD 
  • Leon York Heating Ltd 
  • Love to Save Energy Ltd 
  • Midlands Gas and Heating Ltd 
  • Network Energy Ltd 
  • Next Energy UK 
  • Origin Energy Services Ltd 
  • Pantheon Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Polar ECO Services Ltd 
  • RJM Insulation Ltd 
  • RMS Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Saviour Energy Solutions Ltd 
  • Simple Green Energy Ltd 
  • Simple Heating Services Ltd 
  • Simply ECO Ltd 
  • Skilled Force Ltd 
  • South Coast Insulation Services Ltd 
  • Sprint Renewables Ltd 
  • Sustain Energy UK Ltd 
  • Timhy Services Ltd 
  • UK Energy Saving Experts Ltd 
  • UK Energy Management (NE) Ltd 
  • Urban Renewable Power Ltd 
  • Victorian insulation Ltd 
  • Work Work Ltd 
  • Zing Energy Ltd 

Initial complaints about an installation should firstly be made to the company who installed the measure, but if problems persist you should contact Citizens Advice Consumer Services for free impartial advice.