Sustainability action plan
We're ambitious for Leicester to be a leader in tackling climate change and living more sustainably. Our sustainability action plan presents our long term goals.
- reducing carbon emissions
- improving air quality
- encouraging greener, healthier lifestyles
- improving green spaces and wildlife
- raising environmental awareness.
Action we're taking
The plan was launched in 2016 and updated in 2017. It presents 90 actions we’ve committed to take by 2019 including:
- upgrading boilers and insulating walls in council houses
- replacing diesel vehicles with electric models
- 'Connecting Leicester' with new and improved cycle routes and footpaths
- providing cycle training and walking programmes
- creating wetlands and wildflower meadows and planting bulbs
- working with the Environment Agency to protect homes from flooding
- helping schools achieve the green flag eco schools award.
We aim to lead by example in the way we handle environmental issues inside our workplaces. Where it's relevant, we expect our suppliers to meet environmental standards in the services and goods they provide too. Find out more by visiting our environmental policy page using the quick link above.
We have a dedicated Environmental Education Coordinator who works with schools to help them become more sustainable in all that they do. We encourage schools to follow the Eco-Schools Programme. Further information for schools is available on the Schools Extranet.
If you have a question about our sustainability work use the contact methods below to get in touch with us.
Send us an email
Ring us: 0116 454 2110