Information for organisations who are providing, or are planning to provide personal transport services for vulnerable children, young people and adults Leicester.
We intend to have a new contract in place over the coming year, setting out the standards and expectations for our operators and drivers. Any new procurement opportunities will be advertised on our procurement portals and we encourage providers to register on these. You can find a link to Source Leicestershire – where tendering opportunities are advertised on our Do business with us page.
Where are we now?
We use taxi transport to support a wide range of people with different needs, where there is an assessed need, and where we do not have a more efficient transport option than using a taxi.
Subject to eligibility, we can supply a taxi for:
- children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) who use taxis to get to and from school;
- looked after children and children in need who use taxis to and from school; to transfer between placements; to access services or to attend contact arrangements due to a court order;
- people who use adult social care services to access taxis to and from day centre placements; and
- Leicester City Council staff requiring taxis as part of their work.
Where are we going?
We are committed to improving air quality and reducing carbon emissions. To this end, moving to a greener transport infrastructure in Leicester is a key strategy aim and we encourage providers to move to more environmentally friendly vehicles wherever possible.
Our current priorities
Our current priorities are:
- to move to a greener transport infrastructure in Leicester;
- to ensure we have good quality standards in place for taxi operators on our framework; and
- to ensure we have more control and consistency over prices paid for journeys.
What does this mean for providers?
We are keen to work more closely with providers to better understand the pressures and challenges they face. There will be more regular opportunities for providers to meet with us going forward.
We are reviewing the way we contract-manage the service, ensuring a consistent and transparent process. This will involve more regular spot checks to make sure the services delivered are good quality.
The new contract has brought in new ways of working. We will need to evaluate how these work for ourselves, for taxi operators and for children, young people and families.
In addition we are seeking to support people, such as families of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) to arrange their own transport going forward, using a personal transport budget. Taxi companies are encouraged to communicate the services they provide directly to these groups going forward.
Other useful information for providers
Details of our school and college transport arrangements can be on our Transport to school and college page along with information on personal transport budgets.
Neil Lester, Group Manager, Contacts & Assurance