Skip to content

Ways to manage flood risk

Information that can help you prepare in case a flood happens.

Find out if your property is located in a flood zone

  • Use your postcode to check your long-term flood risk at GOV.UK
  • Call the Environment Agency: 03459 881188

Are you located in flood zone 2 or higher?

It is recommended any residents, who’s place of residence is located in flood zone 2 or higher sign up to:

Please visit the Environment Agency’s Flooding and extreme weather page, which provides the latest advice and most up to date guidance on flooding, its various sources and how to prepare for it.

Protect your home or business

Buy your own preventative products

You may wish to buy products to help prevent water getting into your property or help speed up the process of recovery after a flood event. These are referred to as Property Flood Resilience (PFR) measures. Examples include flood proof doors, airbrick covers, non-return valves, flood barriers.  

You can also prevent flood water from entering the property by temporarily using a sandbag or suitable alternatives. These can be purchased from your local builders’ merchants.

Get advice and guidance

The National Flood Forum are a UK based charity who help individuals and communities increase their awareness to flooding and provide support and services to improve their flood resilience and recovery from flooding. It is recommended that anybody considering PFR measures contacts the National Flood Forum for tailored advice and guidance to help you select the most appropriate measures for your situation. They provide a comprehensive catalogue of PFR suppliers and fitters known as the Blue Pages.

New buildings

For new buildings, further guidance on property flood resilience, please refer to the Improving the flood performance of new buildings (PDF).

Emergency flood plan

You can also use the Environment Agency’s Emergency Flood Plan templates to make your own personal flood plan for:

You should also prepare a bag of essential items to take with you if you have to leave your home. Keep this in a safe place. You could include things like spare medication, glasses, clothing, important documents and contact details such as the number of your insurance company.

Create a checklist of things to do to protect your family, such as turning off the electricity and gas to prevent a fire. Please see the National Flood Forum’s Checklist Action Plan for an example.

What can I do to lessen flood risk in my area?

If you do not want to fit products to your house, you can consider some planting/landscaping to catch water and help it drain away. You could fit a water butt or build a raingarden to catch rainwater from your property or use permeable materials when laying driveways and patios to help the water drain through.

What can we do as a community?

  • Warning systems - Establish a chain of contacts to alert neighbours when water is high
  • Protect vulnerable people - Check on neighbours if bad weather meant they could not leave the house
  • Evacuation support - Help vulnerable people get support from emergency organisations
  • Emergency centre - Run a safe area with water and toilet facilities so that people could be moved into basic facilities for a night or two

For further information visit: Leicester, Leicestershire & Rutland Prepared.

Interested in supporting your community’s response to flooding?

The best way to get involved in this kind of emergency planning is to become a community flood warden.

Insurance claims

The National Flood Forum provides advice for people who have been or may be affected by floods. It provides a list of kite marked products to defend your home or business and advice on how to manage insurance claims.

If you think you need to make a claim on your insurance because of flooding, contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Make sure to take photos of all damaged items and do not dispose of anything until your insurance company has confirmed you can do so. You should follow any other advice that your insurance company provides.