Recycling and waste disposal for students
If you're a student in Leicester, you'll find everything you need to know about waste and recycling here.
Live in halls or a flat?
You’ll have bins for both recycling and general waste in a designated area (Some small flats may still use orange bags). Whilst bin areas can get busy at the start and end of the year, we’ve made sure there is plenty of room in the bins if you recycle correctly.
Live in a house?
Your waste and recycling are collected every week, on the same day. Large student properties have been provided with shared bins for recycling – just put all of your recyclable materials loose into the bin. All other households use orange bags for recycling – more info.
Batteries, clothing, electrical items, ink cartridges and reusable items
These items should not be placed in orange recycling bags or bins.
- Batteries should be recycled at a battery bank – most shops that sell batteries have one of these.
- Clothing and shoes can be taken to a charity shop or a textile bank (even if they’re broken/damaged).
- Electricals should be taken to a recycling point – your closest is likely to be Freemen’s Common Recycling Centre.
- Ink cartridges can be sent back to the manufacturer for recycling - check their website for details.
- Any items that are still usable can be donated at a charity shop or at the LOROS reuse shop at Gypsum Close Recycling Centre.
Furniture, appliances and large items
We will collect bulky items that don’t fit inside your bins for free, but they must be booked in. Please go to our bulky waste page to book you collection.