We have resources to help you trace your family history in our libraries.
We have a wide range of books and journals on genealogy and family history, local census returns and other records on CD and microfiche. Leicester Central Library also offers free online access to Ancestry Library Edition.
Researching your family history can be fascinating and rewarding. Here's a few tips to get you started:
- Start with your immediate family and work backwards, making a note of all the names, dates and facts you are certain of, including births, deaths and marriages
- Talk to members of your family and ask for their recollections
- Keep a separate record of what each person tells you so you can compare notes
- Find as many family documents and correspondence as you can.
Useful family history links
- 1901 Census Online
- 1911 Census Online
- Leicestershire and Rutland Family History Society
- Ancestor Search
- British Red Cross
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites
- Domesday Book
- England GenWeb Project
- Federation of Family History Societies
- Find My Past
- Free BMD
- National Archives
- Society of Genealogists
- UK & Ireland Genealogy (GENUKI)
Follow Libraries on social media for regular updates about all our projects, services and the latest bestsellers