Become a Shared Lives carer
Shared Lives is a service helping people to live independent lives. Shared Lives carers come from all walks of life, from different backgrounds and live in all kinds of homes.
We match the right Shared Lives carer for each cared for person.
Shared Lives carers work from their own homes to provide day care, short term respite or long term live in arrangements for adults who have social care needs.
You could be caring for adults with:
- a learning, physical or sensory disability
- mental health problems
Who can work as a Shared Lives carer?
You will need to be:
- Over 18 (with no age limit) with experience in care work , either paid or voluntary or providing care on an informal bases
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communications Skills
- Able to build positive working relationships with the people you are supporting.
- Patient, imaginative and flexible
You will also need to provide a comfortable and stable home for people to live in or visit. You don't need to own your own home, but if you rent you'll need permission from your landlord.
What does the work involve?
The work involved will depend upon the person you are supporting.
The type of work can include:
- Supporting people to develop practical skills
- Encouraging them to get involved with their local community and increase social contact
- Building their confidence
- Offering them emotional support.
What support would I get as a Shared Lives carer?
Being a Shared Lives carer can be a thoroughly rewarding and positive career choice. You would work on a self-employed basis, with flexibility to choose how much you work and when you work.
You can expect:
- A financial allowance depending on the care you provide
- Ongoing advice and support from the Shared Lives Team
- Training Opportunities
How do I become a Shared Lives carer?
If you require further information about Shared Lives and you are interested in applying to become a Shared Lives Carer, please contact the Duty Officer on 0116 4543740 or send us a message.
Regulation and inspection
Shared Lives is regulated and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The last inspection took place on 26 October 2016. The overall summary and rating of the service was 'good':
- Safe: good
- Effective: good
- Caring: good
- Responsive: good
- Well-led: good.
To view or download a copy of the full inspection report, visit cqc.org.uk