Arts Award space explorer
An exciting opportunity for children age 5 and above to gain the Arts Award Discover by completing creative tasks this summer. Pick up your free log book from a Leicester museum and get started!
What is Arts Award?
Arts Award is a range of unique qualifications that inspire children and young people to grow as artists and arts leaders, inspiring them to connect with and take part in the wider arts world – be it fashion or digital art, pottery or poetry.
Start the arts adventure! To achieve an Arts Award Discover, young people:
- take part in the arts
- experience artists’ work
- share what they have discovered.
This national certificate can be achieved at five levels, with four accredited qualifications and an introductory award – Arts Award Discover. You can find out more at artsaward.org.uk
How to enter
To gain Arts Award Discover your child will need to:
- be age 5 or above
- collect their Be an Arts Award Space Explorer log book from one of our museums
- visit at least three museums, do the activities listed on the task sheet (available at the reception desk) and record it in their log book. (If you visit more than three museums, add an extra page to the log book and have it stamped.)
- take part in an arts workshop at a museum, library, festival, theatre or park and draw, write or photograph what they make or do
- find out about an artist at a museum, gallery or online
- discover different kinds of art
- bring their log book to New Walk Museum on Sunday 2 or Saturday 8 September to share what they have done with our Arts Award advisors. Bring along any art work they made and photos of what they did – on a phone is fine! There will be activities to take part in, in case you have to wait a few minutes.
Do we have to attend in September?
To qualify for receiving Arts Award Discover, your child must attend one of the two moderation days in September where your child will need to tell an Arts Award advisor what they did; using their log book and any other art/photos to remind them – so talking to them beforehand will help them to remember!
Arts Award certificates are sent by post to you from Trinity College London, so we will need to take your contact details. We promise to destroy all details as soon as certificates are posted to you (which usually take up to six weeks to process).
What if we don’t want the Arts Award or our children are under 5 years old?
Children are welcome to collect the log book and do the activities. A ‘Museums are Fun’ activity booklet is available for children under 5. All children can get their booklets/log books stamped at three Leicester city museums they visit and receive a space explorer sticker and certificate.
See the amazing arts workshops at museums and libraries this summer by downloading our events list below.