Active Leicester coronavirus FAQs
To maintain the safety of our customers and staff, we need to undertake certain measures at our Active Leicester leisure centres due to the national restrictions.
We have developed a clear reopening plan, which is not only safe, but also enables us to prioritise the city’s needs and requirements as a collective.
Please note all steps outlined below will be subject to government guidance, as well as continuous reviews made by us.
Step one: 12 April
|Aylestone Leisure Centre||Gym only|
|Braunstone Leisure Centre||Gym only|
|Cossington Street Sport Centre||Gym only|
|All other facilities including swimming pools, lessons and course will remain closed|
|Junior swim lesson only||Tuesday 4||Braunstone, Cossington, Aylestone, Spence Street, Evington, Leicester Leys|
|Swim type||Date available||Where|
|Swim type||Date available||Where|
|Adult swim lesson only||Monday 17||Braunstone, Cossington, Aylestone, Spence Street, Evington, Leicester Leys|
Any facilities not listed above will continue to remain closed.
Step three: 21 June
|Leisure/Sport Centre||What's open|
|Aylestone Leisure Centre||Gym, swim and group exercise classes|
|Braunstone Leisure Centre||Gym, swim, group exercise classes and racket sport|
|Cossington Street Sport Centre||Gym, swim and group exercise classes|
|Leicester Leys Leisure Centre||Gym, swim and group exercise classes|
|Evington Leisure Centre||Gym, swim, group exercise classes and racket sport|
|Spence Street Sports Centre||Gym, swim and group exercise classes|
- All lessons/courses including gymnastics and climbing will resume.
- New Parks Leisure Centre will remain closed until further notice.
Formally organised outdoor sports – for adults and under 18s - can restart from Monday 29 March and will not be subject to the gathering limits but should be compliant with guidance issued by national governing bodies.
All unorganised informal activity will need to follow the ‘rule of 6’ or two households with social distancing in place, except those who are eligible to form a support bubble.
- We are increasing the level of cleaning in all areas of our centres throughout the day.
- Hand sanitiser and cleaning materials will be located at various locations, with new cleaning rules for members visible throughout our centres.
- We are providing training for all our staff on our new way of operating, ensuring both customer and staff safety is always a priority.
- Social distancing markings for queues.
- Protective screens at reception desks.
- Spacing out gym equipment.
- Caps on the number of people allowed in our centres at any given time.
- Implementing one-way systems where possible
- Gym inductions will be conducted online, to save any unnecessary visits to the centre.
Please remember to book in advance and if possible pay in advance too. If you are going to pay on site, please bring a card with contactless payment enabled, as we will not be accepting cash.
You will also need to get changed into your suitable clothing at home and bring any equipment you would usually use (towels, water bottles, yoga mats, arm bands, racquets, etc.) as our changing rooms will not be open.
Please bring a face mask and your own hand sanitiser if possible and do not come to any of our centres if you are feeling unwell.
- Booking and paying in advance are essential.
- Please arrive dressed to exercise and bring your own water bottle, as changing rooms, showering facilities and water fountains will not be available.
- Please do not bring your own towel, there will be cleaning stations located around the gym.
- Please bring your own hand sanitiser if possible and do not come to any of our centres if you are feeling unwell.
- When you arrive, we ask that you follow any one-way systems in place at our centres and look out for signage regarding the relocation of equipment.
- Facemask must be work at reception and circulation areas. Facemask can be removed when in the gym or completing an activity.
- During your session you will be required to clean down any equipment you use before and after your workout.
- Bookable sessions are an hour long, though you will need to be ready to leave 10 minutes before the end of your session to allow time for cleaning and changeover of customers.
As before, we are taking a number of steps to ensure that Humberstone Heights is safe for members and staff. In addition to the key messages above, here’s what else we are doing:
- One in, one out queueing
- Changing facilities and clubroom remain closed
- Toilets open with social distancing measures in place
- Regular cleaning of surfaces, door handles and hired equipment
- Club competitions and activities remain suspended
- One person-only buggy hire, sanitised after use
- Rakes have been removed from bunkers
- Face masks in communal areas
As and when facilities open, you will be advised of your membership payment restarting via email in advance. If you do not have an email address logged with us, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
When we unfreeze your membership, the unused time will be credited, so you will not miss out on any of the membership you have paid for.
We will continue to offer free suspensions until Wednesday 30 June.
If you have already requested to suspend and it has been confirmed, your suspension will now automatically be extended to Wednesday 30 June. Should you still wish to cancel your membership or have any questions please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
All sessions need to be booked in advance on our website. You must register for a free Active Leicester membership to book sessions (gym). If you are a returning customer, please ensure that the email address registered to your account is correct, or you may have trouble booking or accessing our facilities. You can update any personal details by emailing email@example.com.
We have been communicating with members regularly since the closure of our centres. If you have not been receiving emails from us, make sure to update your contact details and opt into communications by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also choose whether you want to receive promotions or not, so we won’t contact you with offers if you don’t want us to.
All junior swimming lessons, apart from those based at Cossington Street Sport centre will be returning from 4 May.
Lessons based at Cossington will restart from Monday 17 May and all customers will be contacted regarding this.
If you have not received an email from us regarding Junior Swim lessons and you are an existing swim lesson customer. Please contact us at Active@leicester.gov.uk to check your contact details are up to date.
Adult swimming lessons will be returning from 17 may and current adult swim lesson members will be contacted nearer the time.
We are pleased to be able to take on new starters from 28 April 2021. Please contact your chosen Active Leicester centre to enrol.
The swimming lesson timetable has been adapted to comply with government guidance. This includes re-programming the pools with staggered lesson start times and reduced class ratios. Changing room and spectating arrangements have also been adjusted.
Pupils will be required to attend their lesson with swimwear underneath loose clothing. Please follow the one-way systems at your chosen centre upon arrival. This will involve pupils entering the pool via a door to poolside, changing on the poolside and then exiting through the changing rooms.
Swimming hats, costumes and goggles should all be fitted correctly by the parent/guardian before starting the lesson.
Yes, one adult per child is permitted. Adults must remain socially distanced in their designated seat and wear a face mask (unless exempt).
For children in lessons aged 8 and above, parents are advised to leave the poolside, however, may stay if desired.