Share this page

95% of city children get place at top three choice schools

Published on 01 March 2016

OVER 95 percent of children whose applications for secondary school places in Leicester were received on time have been offered at place at one of their three preferred schools.

Leicester City Council today gave the results to thousands of parents across the city who had applied for secondary school places for the academic year 2016/17.

In all, 3,988 applications were received on time – an increase of 4.5 percent, or 170 extra admissions – compared to last year.

Of those, 3,384 (84.9 percent) received their first preference, 364 (9.1 percent) their second preference and 68 (1.7 percent) their third preference.

In total 95.7 percent of applicants were offered a place at one of their three choices, with the remaining 4.3 percent offered alternative places.

Every applicant who applied on time was offered a place at a school in the city.

The city council had created 196 new secondary school places for 2016/17 at 11 schools across the city, including 30 each at Crown Hills, Moat and Judgemeadow community colleges, 20 each at New College and City of Leicester College, along with smaller numbers at Fullhurst, Rushey Mead, Soar Valley, Beaumont Leys, Sir Jonathan North and English Martyrs.

This year was also the first time that people did the application process entirely online, meaning all parents could view their results on offer day, rather than having to wait for a paper copy to be posted to them.

Leicester assistant city mayor for children, young people and schools, Cllr Sarah Russell, said: “We had a significant increase this year on the number of applications, but we’ve also been able to offer more children than before a place in one of their three first choice schools. 

“Nearly 200 extra Year 7 places have been created in 11 schools across the city, with their support, for 2016, meaning we’ve been able to deal with this increase in applications and still ensure that every single child who applied on time will get a place at a city school.”