Take a spin on the Wheel of Light this winter
Published on 07 November 2017
LEICESTER’S spectacular Wheel of Light will be back in Jubilee Square this week as the countdown to Christmas gets closer.
Work to assemble the 110-ft ferris wheel will get under way tomorrow (Wednesday), with the attraction ready to open to the public at 12 noon on Friday (10 November).
Each of the wheel’s 24 gondolas can seat up to six people, with one gondola specially adapted to allow wheelchair access.
Tickets for a bird’s eye view of the city cost £5 for adults, while a family ticket – for two adults and two children, or one adult and three children – is available for £15.
Children under 1.4m in height, students and senior citizens can enjoy the view for £4.
The Wheel of Light will be open from 12 noon every day – except Christmas Day – until 8 January.
From 9 December, it will be joined in Jubilee Square by Leicester’s new Christmas attraction – a 35m x 15m real ice rink.
Tickets for the ice rink can be booked in advance at the Visit Leicester shop on Gallowtree Gate or via www.visitleicester.info
Full details of all the events taking place in Leicester this Christmas will be in a free guide – available from 16 November – and at www.visitleicester.info
Christmas in Leicester 2017
• From 10 November: The Wheel of Light. Jubilee Square
Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Leicester’s Christmas lights from our 110-ft ferris wheel.
From 12 noon daily (closed Christmas Day) until 8 January
12 noon-8pm: Mon-Thurs
12 noon-10pm: Fri-Sun
• 23 November: Christmas Lights Switch-On. Humberstone Gate/city centre
A packed programme of events featuring live music and street entertainers
5pm-8pm (lights switch-on at 6.30pm)
• From 23 November: Leicester’s Christmas Market. New Market Square
Gorgeous gifts, quirky crafts and fabulous food and drink in cosy wooden chalets on Leicester’s new open space
From 11am daily until 23 December
• From 23 November: Traditional nativity scene and The Chronicles of Narnia. Town Hall Square
See the story of Christmas and an animated tableau scene under the festive lights in Leicester’s historic Town Hall Square
• 23 November: Frostival. St Peter’s Square, Highcross
A magical celebration of snow, ice and light, featuring Swan Lake ballerinas, a stilt-walking Ice Prince, winged dancers and a friendly Snow Lion
• From 25 November: Funfair. Humberstone Gate
Family-friendly fairground rides in the heart of the city centre
• From 9 December: Christmas Ice Rink. Jubilee Square
Skate on our spectacular real ice rink, whatever the weather!
From 11am-9pm daily (last session at 8pm) until 8 January. Closed Christmas Day.
Christmas shows in Leicester
• 18 November – 7 January: Scrooge The Musical. Curve
• 9–11 December: Cinderella – A Pumpkin, a Shoe and a Fairy Godmother. Guildhall
• 15 December – 7 January: Dick Whittington. Little Theatre
• 16 December – 7 January: Beauty and the Beast. De Montfort Hall
• 18 December: Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs. Y Theatre