Information on road diversions and other traffic related issues relating to the Haymarket Bus Station redevelopment project.
Phase 4 of the project is now in place. Haymarket Bus Station is now closed to all traffic.
Haymarket Shopping Centre car park is still accessible from the Belgrave Gate / Charles Street roundabout.
Phase 3 of the redevelopment project started in November and will carry on until the middle of January. This phase of the project involves the removal of the Charles Street / Belgrave Gate roundabout, ongoing development of the Abbey Street / Belgrave Gate junction, and the construction of a new pedestrian island and paved area on the northern edge of the former roundabout.
Demolition of the former island block shops is ongoing, with materials being sorted and cleared away from the site on a daily basis.
The Haymarket Bus Station redevelopment project has entered phase 2A.
- The Mansfield Street / Abbey Street traffic diversion has been removed, allowing vehicles to once again turn right onto Abbey Street from Mansfield Street.
- Fencing has been placed around the island block shops next to Charles Street roundabout to enable contractors to start the initial stages of the demolition process (removal of fixtures and fitting). Pedestrian access around the shops will be maintained between the bus station and Belgrave Gate and vehicle access to the car park will not be affected.
The second stage of work (phase 1b) started on Monday 6 October. This work will take approximately three weeks to complete and will include:
- Removal of concrete traffic islands at Abbey Street / Belgrave Gate junction
- Construction of central concrete traffic island on Abbey Street
- Installation of two temporary pedestrian crossings on Belgrave Gate and Abbey Street
Please note that elements of phase 1a remain in place during phase 1b.
The first stage of work (phase 1a) started on Monday 22 September and centred around the Abbey Street and Belgrave Gate junction. This initial work involves:
- The closure of Abbey Street eastbound at junction with Belgrave Gate (expect for buses and taxis).
- A diversion route from Abbey Street onto Burley Way, up to Belgrave roundabout and down Belgrave Gate.