Registration service ceremony terms and conditions
Full terms and conditions for registration service ceremonies.
Civil marriage/civil partnership ceremonies
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- No legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and legal preliminaries are completed within statutory timescales.
- Any foreign divorce/dissolution papers are accepted and cleared by the Registrar General where applicable.
- Home Office permission is granted where applicable.
- A deposit is paid at the time of booking. This is non-refundable and covers the cost of the initial work that we do to reserve and organise your ceremony.
- The ceremony fee (minus deposit) is payable either at the time of booking or by 3 months prior to the date of the ceremony, whichever is the nearer date to the day of the ceremony.
- Ceremony fees are correct at the time of booking but are subject to review/change on 1st April each year. This is with the exception of our statutory Register Office room whose fee is determined by the Registrar General and will be reviewed as advised. You will be required to pay the fee applicable to the date of your ceremony. If you have paid before the new fees have been released you will be subject to paying the difference.
Cancellation and refunds
All cancellations must be received in writing or by email (from an address previously provided) from either of you.
Providing full payment has been made:
- If cancellation is received 6 months prior to the date of the ceremony, the full amount (minus the deposit) will be returned to you.
- If cancellation is received between 6 months and 8 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony 50% of the fee will be returned to you
- If cancellation is received between 8 weeks and 4 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony 25% of the fee will be returned to you
- If cancellation is received less than 4 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony no fee will be returned to you.
The amount of your payment that we retain represents the financial loss to us when you cancel your ceremony. You will appreciate that a ceremony slot may not be taken by another couple at short notice.
Your ceremony will be cancelled if:
- The deposit has not been paid.
- Legal preliminaries cannot be or have not been completed.
- The ceremony fee has not been paid.
If you do not meet the above conditions and we cancel your ceremony, you will not be entitled to any refund.
- You must request all cancellations or changes, in writing or by email (from an address previously provided) to the Leicester Register Office.
- Changes to the ceremony arrangements (time, date or location) will incur a ceremony amendment fee (as detailed below). You should also be aware that you may have to complete new legal preliminaries if you change your venue and pay the difference in fees if you change your date.
Ceremony amendment fees
The following charges will be incurred when changes are made to the date or time of your ceremony booking. If the change is of a simple nature e.g. change of room/change of venue (when the date and time is unchanged) then a standard £25.00 administration fee will be payable.
All changes must be received in writing or by email (from an address previously provided) from either of you.
Providing full payment has been made:
- If the change is made at least 6 months prior to the date of the ceremony a £30.00 administration fee will be payable.
- If a change is made is made between 6 months and 8 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony a £50.00 administration fee will be payable
- If the change is made between 8 weeks and 4 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony a £75.00 administration fee will be payable or the total ceremony cost (whichever is lower)
- If the change is made less than 4 weeks prior to the date of your ceremony a £120.00 administration fee will be payable or the total ceremony cost (whichever is lower)
The amount of your payment that we retain represents the financial loss to us when you amend your ceremony. You will appreciate that a ceremony slot may not be taken by another couple at short notice.
Certificate fees are determined by the Registrar General and will be reviewed as advised.
Issuing of certificates
Following your ceremony in the Town Hall or at an Approved Premise we aim to register your marriage or civil partnership on our system within 7 workings days. Your certificate/s will be posted to you at your chosen address. Certificates are sent via Royal Mail according to your chosen delivery option/fee paid. You have the option of either 1st class (£1.50 fee) or Royal Mail Signed For® (£3.50 fee). If your certificate is lost, damaged, delayed or arrives with some of the contents missing, you may be eligible to claim compensation. This compensation is subject to the maximum payable being the lower of the market value of the item and £20 (£50 for Royal Mail Signed For®). Please note that we are unable to process this claim for you and you will need to contact Royal Mail directly should the need to make a claim arise. If Royal Mail Signed For® was used, we will be able to provide the tracking reference number for this purpose upon request. Please note Royal Mail Signed For® is not a priority delivery service.
If your ceremony took place at a religious premise you will need to order your certificate via our website. We can only issue your certificate once you have returned your marriage schedule to us for registration.
Ceremonies in gazebos or other outside structures
- The venue is required to keep a backup room (licensed for civil ceremonies); available to complete the ceremony indoors should the weather be unsuitable on the day.
- LRO (Leicester Register Office) cannot be held responsible if the back-up room does not have enough space for all the guests to witness the ceremony. This is a matter for yourselves and the venue to discuss and agree.
- The registration officer will make the final decision as to where it will be appropriate to complete the ceremony.
- For a Register Office ceremony, you will be given a set ceremony.
- For an Approved Premises ceremony you will be advised of the statutory legal words and options available to you.
- LRO will make the final decision on any wording used and will not accept any liability for omission which may be caused by reasons beyond its control.
- LRO provides a secular ceremony which cannot include any religious content. This includes any reading, hymn, carol or song that contains religious messages or references.
- For fire, safety and comfort if the number of guests exceeds the capacity of the room some guests will be excluded from the ceremony.
We will not accept liability for:
- The failure of any music system provided at the venue by you or a third party.
- The delay or loss caused by your late arrival.
- Any loss caused by a request from you or by your representatives to delay the ceremony.
- Any loss or compensation where a ceremony is stopped from proceeding because A) it would be void if it went ahead, B) an offence would be committed under the Marriage and Civil Partnership Acts or, C) it would be against public interest.
- In the event of an emergency, disaster or extreme weather conditions (including but not limited to war, civil disturbance, armed conflict, terrorist attack, government action, fire, flood, snow, pandemic or epidemic) LRO will do everything it can to ensure your ceremony takes place on your chosen day. However, LRO cannot be held responsible and it is not liable for any ceremony which has been cancelled as a result of such events which are outside of our control. We recommend you consider taking out ceremony insurance to cover losses or expenses incurred in the case of such events.
- Any reference to working days does not include Saturday, Sunday, Bank or Public holidays.
- Only assistance animals will be allowed into your ceremony.
- Only contracted officers can conduct and register your ceremony.
- Approval of the venue is granted only in connection with the provision of ceremonies and LRO cannot accept liability for the failure or neglect on behalf of the venue, of any agreement between you and the venue for the use or provision of any services and/or facilities, including cancellation by the venue.
- Any complaint or claim against LRO should be made as soon as reasonably practical to;
Head of Registration Service, Leicester Register Office, Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Leicester LE1 9BG
- If you fail to attend your ceremony the fee paid is non-refundable
Words and phrases shall be interpreted as follows:
LRO – means Leicester Register Office. Any reference in these conditions to Leicester Register Office shall also refer to Leicester City Council in so far as they relate to its legal responsibilities and obligations.
Marriage and Civil Partnership Acts – means the Acts of Parliament (and any regulations covering these Acts) covering the legal preliminaries to, the solemnisation and registration of a civil marriage / civil partnership made either in a register office or approved premises within England and Wales.
Venue – means Approved Premises approved by LRS under the Civil Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005 for the solemnisation and registration of civil marriages and civil partnerships.