Spending review programme
My spending review programme aims to make substantial reductions in the city council's spending as a consequence of huge government funding cuts.
The government has made substantial reductions in our funding since 2010, with grant cuts of over £120m per year between 2010 and 2019 (50 per cent in real terms). We know there are further cuts to come.
Due to increasing levels of demand for social care, the brunt of cuts is falling on the rest of our services. The amount available for other services is falling by around two thirds over 10 years. This includes services such as street cleaning, libraries, children's centres, parks, refuse collection, sports centres, museums, road and footpath maintenance, and support to voluntary and community groups.
Because of the way we have managed the budget, we have bought ourselves time to look properly at services, and make savings in a planned way. This avoids the need to make urgent cuts to balance the budget in any given year.
What we're doing
The spending review programme is the means by which we are now making savings, and we are trying to save nearly £70 million per year through this programme. The programme involves looking in detail at our key areas of service. Decisions to save money which have been taken are available from the links below.
Before I make decisions, I will consult those who will be affected by proposals and seek their views.
Decisions and reports
Transforming Neighbourhood Services
- Changes to service delivery in south area pilot
- Changes to service delivery in west area
- Changes to service delivery in north west area
- Changes to service delivery in north east area
- Proposed lease of Manor House Community Centre
- Changes to service provision in east and central area
- Braunstone Frith Community Centre
Parks and open spaces
Supporting the voluntary and community sector (vcs)
- Working with the city's voluntary and community sector to support engagement with communities - approach
- Homelessness spending review
- Monitoring the Homelessness Strategy, interim service and spending review
Park and ride
Corporate resources and support
Welfare advice service
Using buildings better
Tourism, culture, investment
- Technical services spending review programme
- Technical Services Programme: Budgets, Targets and Delivery Model