Covid local support grant
The Covid local support grant scheme aims to support households struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic. Applications for this grant are no longer being accepted.
This is a national scheme to give financial support to households struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic. It is designed to help with the cost of:
- energy bills (including heating, cooking, lighting)
- water bills (including sewerage)
- toiletries and sanitary products
- replacement cookers, fridge freezers, microwaves and washing machines (where it can be confirmed they are not in working order).
Please note these can be re-used items. The scheme is part of larger support offer available to families and children which includes the Holiday Activities Programme.
Applications for this grant are no longer being accepted.
The scheme is intended to support financially vulnerable Leicester residents, who have been adversely affected by Covid-19 or require safeguarding due to a severe risk to their health and safety.
We will email a written notice of our decision to the referring professional. They will inform you if the referral has been successful. They will explain the decision and how the award will be made, if you have been successful.
Households where all members cannot claim public funds are not eligible to apply for this scheme.
There are some exceptions, for example where there are community care needs, serious health problems and/or a risk to a child’s wellbeing.
Households that meet the eligibility criteria are known to our person’s from abroad team who will refer those households into the scheme.
The scheme will operate between 12 July 2021 and 30 September 2021.
Applications will be accepted until 17 September 2021 and all vouchers to be redeemed by 30 September 2021.
The terms of the scheme are subject to change. If we need to make any changes, an updated policy will be published on this page. All referrals received the day after any published changes will be assessed in line with that updated policy.
We will look at the information provided to support your application to see which area(s) you need support with. All awards will be a one off award.
If your referral is successful, your award will be paid in the following ways:
- food awards/toiletries will be made by e-voucher or food box. This will be a contribution to and not a replacement for your food budget.
- gas, electricity, district heating, water/sewerage will be made by e-voucher or a credit onto your bill
- cookers, microwaves, fridge/freezers and washing machines will be delivered. Please note these can be re-used items and declarations around broken cookers need to be made.
- Awards for school uniforms and nursery clothing will be made by an e-voucher redeemable at a choice of retailers. Referrals for school uniforms or nursery settings clothing will only be accepted if not already identified by schools/nursery. Referring partners are requested to ask the customer if they have a) received the support via schools or b) contacted the schools for this support.
No, your referral is intended to cover the whole period of the scheme extension irrespective of when you made your application. Any subsequent referral made will be refused.
If your referral application is successful and you are awarded an EdenRed e-voucher, you will need to redeem the voucher.
Find out how to use your e-voucher (PDF).
You can then use the e-voucher at one of the following supermarket stores:
- Company Shop Group
If your referral application is successful and you are awarded a Wonde e-voucher, you will need to redeem the voucher.
You can then use the voucher to purchase clothing at one of the following outlets:
- New Look
- TK Maxx
We offer a range of advice and support to city residents who are vulnerable during the coronavirus pandemic.
Use the links below to find out more:
We must make sure that all applications are made legitimately.
If you falsely declare your circumstances, provide a false statement or provide false evidence in support of your application, you may have committed an offence under the Fraud Act 2006.
We have a zero-tolerance approach to fraud and financial irregularity. All suspicions of fraud relating to this scheme will be referred to Leicestershire Police.