Coronavirus in Leicester

Get the latest information and advice

Customer service and waste management phone lines

Sorry, we are very busy at the moment. Callers are being redirected to dial other phone numbers if appropriate, or to online services at My Account or online payments


Council tax and financial support

Advice and support is available to anyone living in Leicester who is experiencing financial hardship as a result of coronavirus. Trained staff are available by telephone and online. There is crisis support to help with fuel bills and food too.

Further information

Rent and council tax

You should continue to pay your rent and council tax if you can. We encourage you to contact us immediately if you are having difficulty making your payments, or if you wish to report a change in your circumstances which will affect your council tax support or housing benefit.

Advice on housing benefit, universal credit and council tax support will be available and support provided as appropriate. This could include temporary adjustments to household council tax bills and council rent.

Council tax hardship fund

In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the government has given us funds to support residents financially in a number of ways. The hardship fund for council tax can help you by cutting your council tax bill further. This means that because you are on a low income you will pay even less during the coronavirus emergency. To find out more go to our council tax hardship fund page.

How do I get in touch?

In the subject line of your email, please include ‘Council tax’, ‘Housing benefit’ or ‘Council tax support’ with your account reference or claim number, if you have one.

If you cannot email, use the numbers below to get in touch:

We are currently unable to process posted items, so please do not write to us.

Making payments

Please do not pay by cheque. Go to our payment page or ring our automated payment line on: 0116 454 1012.

You can find further information on council tax and council tax support using the links below:

You can also sign up to view your accounts or claims online.

Are you on low income and struggling to pay your council tax?

If you are struggling to pay your council tax and are on a low income with savings of less than £16,000, we have introduced a simple process to claim council tax support. If you are in exceptional difficulty, you can apply for council tax discretionary relief. Find out more on our council tax support page.

New claims for council tax support and housing benefit will be prioritised to help ensure that people can pay their council tax or rent.

Pause on recovery action

We will not take immediate recovery action for council tax or council rent linked to coronavirus but you must get in touch with us. We will not evict people from council homes where the impact of the virus has left people unable to pay their rent.

Crisis support

If you are experiencing financial crisis and have no funds for utility bills or food, you can claim crisis support.

Email your name and phone number to

We will call back between 9.30am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. The application will be completed over the phone.

If you are in exceptional financial difficulty you may apply for council tax discretionary relief.

If you are struggling to pay your rent on top of your universal credit, you may claim a discretionary housing payment.

Universal credit

You can find advice on universal credit at GOV.UK

To get information about the changes the government has brought in to support people who are already claiming benefits, need to claim benefits, or are at risk of losing their job as a result of coronavirus, go to the Understanding universal credit website