Service updates in Leicester
We are choosing to take a cautious approach to unlocking our services. We ask everyone using our buildings to wear a mask for the time being, and we still encourage you to stay socially distanced from people you don’t live with. Please continue to act carefully and remain cautious.
Our customer service centre on Granby Street is open by appointments only. Find out how to book an appointment.
You can still make use of our online services, contact us by email or phone:
If you are struggling to access online services seek help from family or friends. Find out how we may be able to help you.
All ward meetings have been cancelled with immediate effect until further notice.
Remember that your local councillors are available to provide support and guidance and although they may not be able to meet with you in person, you can still get in touch with them by email or phone.
We are working to minimise the impact of coronavirus on bereavement and registration services as we take a cautious approach to unlocking.
We continue to take a measured approach. Get more details on service changes to births, marriages and deaths.
Housing support for tenants and residents will continue to be provided remotely. Home and estate visits will be carried out for critical reasons and staff will be implementing Covid safe measures.
For urgent support please contact the tenant’s advice line on 0116 454 1007.
Schools and learning
We know that you want to help support your child’s learning and education as much as possible during the coronavirus pandemic. To aid your child’s learning at home we have compiled this list of useful resources for you.
Most LASALS courses will remain online until the end of the academic year. However, we are open for face-to-face employability and digital courses, open days and summer programmes. Get more details.
Freemen's Common and Gypsum Close recycling centres are open daily, 8am-8pm. Please note, the Reuse shop at Gypsum Close remains closed until further notice.
However, we may need to close the gates or ask people to stop queuing earlier than the stated closing time. This is to allow the sites to be cleaned and sanitised, and also for us to manage any existing queue. This means that you won't be turned away from the sites if you have already been queuing for any time.
Please take note of the guidelines below:
- Please sort your waste before visiting so that you can offload quickly and easily.
- Stay in your vehicle while queuing to aid with social distancing. Please do not leave your vehicle until it is necessary to get out.
- Stay safe – wear protective gloves, appropriate footwear and clothing and only bring what you can safely handle as staff will not be able to help you carry your waste as they normally would.
- You must keep a 2 metres distance from others at all times.
- Do not visit if you are in self-isolation or have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Asbestos and chemicals can only be disposed of at Freemen's Common. If disposing of asbestos please call ahead.
- Vans, pickups and trailers longer than 1.4m are not permitted at Freemen's Common. All vans, pickups and large trailers will need to obtain a permit before taking waste to Gypsum Close. Go to our recycling centres page for more details.
- There is no pedestrian access to either site until further notice.
Waste and recycling roadside collection services are currently operating as normal.
If someone in your home has coronavirus symptoms, please put their personal waste (such as used tissues) in a separate rubbish bag, place that into another bag, tie securely and keep separate from other waste for 72 hours before placing it in your refuse bin.
The trade waste facility at Gypsum Close is open to businesses Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm with safety measures in place. Only card payments will be accepted. Biffa staff will not be able to assist in unloading any waste.
The bulky waste collection service is currently operating as normal.
Please note, it is currently not possible to amend a collection once it has been booked.
Most of our libraries are now open. Find out about our reopening plans.
All of our youth centres remain closed.
- Haymarket Shopmobility is open, 9.30am - 4pm.
- Highcross Shopmobility reopens 2 August: 9.30am to 4pm (Monday to Saturday)
Leisure and culture
Humberstone Heights Golf Course is open. For safety guidelines please see our golf page.
All parks, play areas, ball courts and public toilets on parks are open.
- Outdoor gyms, bowling greens, tennis courts and skateparks are open.
- If you are meeting outside, you can make a personal choice on whether to keep your distance from them, but you should still be cautious.
- Good hand hygiene remains important, particularly with respect to shared surfaces.
Information and advice
When visiting outdoor public places, you should consider safeguarding against any risks to yourself, family members and other users. Sensible precautions including the continued use of hand sanitisers, remain simple options to give reassurance against viral transmission with minimal inconvenience to normal activities and recreation.
Outdoor public places include parks, beaches, countryside, public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them), allotments and playgrounds.
Children’s outdoor play areas across the city are open for use. Safety signs are on display at all 247 playgrounds reminding everyone to consider the advantages of social distancing and hygiene measures. Parents and carers visiting play areas are still encouraged to bring wipes and sanitiser to clean touch points such as equipment handles.
Ashes can be scattered at any of our parks, as well as along a stretch of the River Soar near to the National Space Centre. You must pay a fee and complete a service request form if you would like to scatter ashes in a park. Full details are available in the attachments at the bottom of the using our parks page.
Leicester Museum & Art Gallery, Abbey Pumping Station, Newarke Houses Museum and the Guildhall are open. Get more details at leicestermuseums.org.
De Montfort Hall is open to the public. For more information on your bookings please go to the De Montfort Hall website.
Leicester Market (city centre) food and non-essential retail traders are open Monday – Saturday, 8am to 4pm.
Beaumont Market food and non-essential retail traders are open every Wednesday to Saturday, 8am to 4pm.
Tweets by Leicester News