Information to accompany the gambling policy
The gambling policy sets out Leicester City Council’s approach to gambling licensing between 2022 and 2025. It provides information on the relevant responsible authorities and interested parties, arrangements for the exchange of information, the principles the Council will apply to monitoring and enforcement, and the areas of the city that the Council considers generally suitable or unsuitable for certain types of gambling premises.
It also refers to the local area profile produced by the Council and provides guidance on conditions and other matters specific to certain licence types.
The Council’s role is to aim to permit the use of premises for gambling in so far as it thinks it is:
- in accordance with any relevant code of practice issued by the Gambling Commission
- in accordance with any relevant guidance issued by the Gambling Commission
- reasonably consistent with the licensing objectives, and
- in accordance with the authority’s statement of licensing policy
The Council’s main enforcement and compliance role is to ensure compliance with the premises licences and other permissions that it authorises. The Council is not responsible for licensing operators or individuals (personal licences), nor does it regulate online gambling or the National Lottery. These functions rest with the Gambling Commission.
The policy is not able (in law) to consider the concerns people may or may not have about gambling, other than as covered by concerns about premises that are directly linked to the licensing objectives, which are:
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
- Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
If you or someone you know are concerned about gambling, then further information and support can be found via the following organisations:
- Gambling Commission (includes links to organisations that can help)
- GamCare - The leading provider of support for anyone affected by problem gambling in Great Britain
- GambleAware - Finding the right support | BeGambleAware
- National Gambling Helpline - 0808 8020 133
- National Debt Line - Debt advice | Free debt advice | National Debtline | National Debtline
- NHS - Help for problem gambling (www.nhs.uk)
- Safer Gambling - What is RG - Safer Gambling UK
- Samaritans - Samaritans | Every life lost to suicide is a tragedy | Here to listen