We issue licences for gambling, lotteries and amusements.
All application forms for premises licences are available on the Gambling licenses (Premises) page.
How much does a licence cost?
We can set our own fees for premises licences, subject to maximum levels that have been specified by central government. We review our fees for the start of each financial year. The latest update took effect on 1 June 2018.
Applicants should consider the following points:
- The relevant fee must be sent with an application
- The application fee will not be refunded if the application is withdrawn or unsuccessful
- A first annual fee is payable within 30 days of the date of licence issue
- An annual fee is payable before the anniversary of the licence being granted
- Annual fees can be paid by credit card by calling 0116 454 1000.
The following authorities can comment on applications and apply for a review of a licence:
- Leicestershire Police
- Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service – email email@example.com
- HM Revenue and Customs. View gambling duties payable
- Gambling Commission
- Licensing authority (Leicester City Council)
- Planning authority (Leicester City Council
- Environmental health (Leicester City Council)
- Leicester Safeguarding Children Board (Leicester City Council)
Temporary use notice
A temporary use notice will allow the use of premises for gambling, where there is no premises licence, but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. There is a £500 fee.
Our policy for 2019 to 2021 was approved by full council on 15 November 2018, and is attached below.
Local area profile
A local area profile has been prepared to indicate the location of sensitive and relevant premises in connection with the gambling policy. The local area profile will continue to be amended and updated in the coming months. This information should be viewed alongside the Gambling Policy for 2019 to 2021. The local area profile can be viewed on our web mapping system.
Making a representation
A guidance document about making a representation is attached below.