Supported living means that you are supported to live in the way that you want. We can help vulnerable people to live in their homes and community.
Supported living provides choice to people in the programme about where they would like to live, who they would like to live with and how they would like to receive their support. This is dependent on the housing availability.
We use council and private housing in Leicester City and services to enable people where possible to live close to family and friends. Supported Living is an alternative to residential care for people who are assessed as eligible for services.
What support is available?
Support that is offered is based on assessment of an person's needs, and can include
- Personal care
- Meal planning, preparation and cooking
- Medication management
- Domestic tasks - vacuuming, cleaning and laundry
- Budgeting and finances
- Paying bills/correspondences
- Arranging and attending medical appointments
- Maximising benefits
- Support to access wider opportunities within the community
- Support with leisure activities
- Gaining employment/voluntary work
- One to one support can be provided to support service users to build their skills for independent living
- Developing skills
- Helping people to feel part of the community.
What is the referral process?
When a service user is referred to supported living, they are assigned a worker from the adult social care team.
Role of the supported living team
When we receive a referral, we come for a visit with the allocated worker and service provider to complete a supported living assessment. This will help us work out the level of support required by the person who has been referred.
We will calculate the required support hours and complete a care/support plan in consultation with the service user and allocated worker.
We also liaise with with the service provider, provide support during tenancy sign-ups, and where appropriate attend the 4-6 week review after placement.
Elsewhere on the web
You can find out about support available locally in the Leicester Care Directory.
Ring us on: 0116 295 4545, 0116 295 4538 or 0116 295 4523