If you’ve ever considered growing your own fruit and vegetables why not apply for an allotment plot?
Leicester has 43 allotment sites and over 3,000 plots. 11 of these sites are managed directly by Leicester City Council with the remainder managed by local allotment societies.
The annual rent can vary from £6.50 to £25 per plot (depending on the size and facilities).
There are many benefits of renting an allotment. You could:
- Get more exercise
- Enjoy the outdoors
- Meet new people
- Reduce stress
- Share and gain knowledge from others
- Grow your own food.
How do I apply?
- Use the Quick Link above to find your nearest allotment site.
- Complete the online application form.
- Apply to be on a waiting list. You can apply to be on more than one list at once (maximum of four sites).
- once we have received your application it will be forwarded to the relevant society.
- You will be notified once you are added to the waiting list.
- Once a plot becomes available you'll be contacted by the society.
- if you wish to accept a plot you will need to sign a simple tenancy agreement, which sets out your rights and responsibilities.
Allotment members are happy to meet with anyone interested in leasing an allotment, to discuss their individual plans and requirements, offer advice and calculate annual charges.
The 22 allotment societies in Leicester all provide full-time stewards who look after the day-to-day management. Societies may also offer the opportunity to buy compost, fertiliser, seeds and other gardening supplies on site - often at discounted prices.
It is recommended that beginners go with an allotment society-managed plot as first-timers can find the advice and resources provided at these sites extremely useful.
Everyone is made very welcome so don’t be put off if you are a complete beginner - there are always experienced gardeners available to offer guidance and advice.