Changing places toilets
Changing places provide accessible changing facilities for people with disabilities, enabling them to enjoy day to day activities many of us take for granted.
What are changing places toilets?
Changing places toilets are larger than standard accessible toilets with extra features and more space to meet these needs. They are generally designed for dependent use, for example with a carer.
What facilities does a changing places toilet provide?
The right equipment
- A height adjustable adult-sized changing bench
- A tracking hoist system, or mobile hoist if this is not possible.
- Adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers
- A centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers
- A screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and carer some privacy.
A safe and clean environment
- Wide tear-off paper roll to cover the bench
- A large waste bin for disposable pads
- A non-slip floor.
Who are they for?
Many older people and disabled people, including those with profound physical and learning disabilities do not have access to public accessible toilets that meets their needs, who would benefit from being able to access a changing places toilet facility.
Are further changing places facilities planned?
We're working hard to increase the number of changing places toilets in Leicester, these will be added to the Find a changing places toilet webpage.