Our Best Book
Each year we run the Our Best Book competition for year five and six children, in schools across the city.
A long list of about 20 titles are discussed, debated and voted on by pupils in participating Leicester schools, to produce a short list of five great books.
The top six books are read and voted on by the children involved, and the winner announced.
The winning book is announced at an awards ceremony in June, and children from the schools involved are invited to come along, celebrate and meet some of the authors. The participating schools each receive the long list and multiple copies of the short list books.
We fund the award through participating schools and are supported by 'Whatever It Takes' and Creative Learning Services.
Our Best Book shortlist 2020
- Roller Girl – Victoria Jamieson
- Killer Custard – Steve Barlow and Steve Skidmore
- The Bad Guys: Episode 1 and Episode 2 – Aaron Blabey
- Shivers: Ghost Stories – John Townsend
- Not My Fault – Cath Howe
- Inkling – Kenneth Oppel
Our Best Book longlist 2020
- A Wolf called Wander - Rosanne Parry
- Accidental Trouble Magnet: (Planet Omar) Book 1 - Zanib Mian
- Ariki and the Giant Shark - Nicola Davies
- Iguana Boy Saves the World with a Triple Cheese Pizza - James Bishop
- Inkling - Kenneth Oppel
- Killer Custard - Steve Barlow and Steve Skidmore
- Little Badman and the Invasion of the Killer Aunties - Humza Arshad and Henry White
- Not My Fault - Cath Howe
- Roller Girl - Victoria Jamieson
- Run Wild - Gill Lewis
- Shivers: Ghost Stories - John Townsend
- Ten Nasty Little Toads - Steve Cole
- The Bad Guys: Episode 1 and Episode 2 - Aaron Blabey
- The Dragon in the Library - Louie Stowell
- The Midnight Hour - Benjamin Read and Laura Trinder
- The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods - Samuel J. Halpin
- The Unlucky Eleven - Phil Earle
- Tin - Padraig Kenny
- What Lexie Did - Emma Shevah
- When we were Warriors - Emma Carroll
All of the long listed books are available to borrow. You can pop in and pick one up at your local library or:
Our Best Book 2019 Winner
Congratulations to Jamie Smart for his book, Looshkin.
Follow Libraries on social media for regular updates about all our projects, services and the latest bestsellers