Our Best Book
Each year we run the Our Best Book competition for year five and six children, in schools across the city.
A long list of 12 titles are discussed, debated and voted on by pupils in participating Leicester schools, to produce a short list of five great books.
The top five books are read and voted on by the children involved, and the winner announced.
The winning book is announced at an awards ceremony in June, and children from the schools involved are invited to come along, celebrate and meet some of the authors. The participating schools each receive the long list and multiple copies of the short list books.
We fund the award through participating schools and are supported by 'Whatever It Takes' and Creative Learning Services.
Our Best Book longlist 2023
- Peanut Jones and The Illustrated City – Rob Biddulph
- The Clockwork Queen – Peter Bunzl
- My Big Mouth – Steven Camden
- Frankie’s World – Aoife Dooley
- The Last Bear – Hannah Gold
- Harley Hitch and The Iron Forest – Vashti Hardy
- Rock Star Detectives – Adam Hills
- The Insiders – Cath Howe
- Happy Here; 10 Stories from Black Authors – Sharna Jackson (editor)
- Grimwood – Nadia Shireen
- Loki: A Bad God’s Guide to Being Good – Louie Stowell
- Max Counts to a Million – Jeremy Williams
All of the long listed books are available to borrow. You can pop in and pick one up at your local library.
Our Best Book 2022 Winners
- 1st - No Country - Joe Brady
- 2nd – Pizazz: It’s Not Easy Being Super … - Sophy Henn
- 3rd – Cally and Jimmy – Twin in Trouble - Zoe Antoniade
Follow Libraries on social media for regular updates about all our projects, services and the latest bestsellers