Summer Reading Challenge
Go Gadgeteers Go! Get reading with your library this summer. Track down six amazing books with our team of Gadgeteers and explore the key role of imagination in both reading and the sciences.
How to take part
Visit your local library any time between July and August to sign up. There are Gadgeteers collectibles and loads of exciting activities to get involved with.
You then have until Sunday 11 September 2022, to complete the challenge by reading books borrowed from your local library or online from our ebook/eAudiobook collections. Don't forget to collect your certificate and medal too!
There’s also lots more free fun in your local library all summer, take a look below.
Launch week: 11 to 15 July
Visit your library in the first week of the holidays to create the ultimate gadget, a giant robot, and borrow your first books for the summer.
Why not make your own great gadget or incredible invention and share a photo of it using #GoGadgeteersGo as the hashtag. Visit your local Leicester library to get creative ideas from our craft and
- Monday 11 July, 1-3pm: Aylestone, Evington, New Parks
- Tuesday 12 July, 1-3pm: Knighton, Beaumont Leys, Rushey Mead
- Wednesday 13 July, 1-3pm: Belgrave, St Barnabas, St Matthews
- Thursday 14 July, 1-3pm: Central, Highfields, Pork Pie, Westcotes
- Friday 15 July, 1-3pm: Brite Centre, Fosse Centre, Hamilton
Live family theatre: 19 to 23 July
The Spark Arts for Children in association with Among Ideal Friends libraries consortium, present 'Recycled Rubbish' – a show for children aged five and over. Tickets will be on sale soon.
|Show dates||Location and time|
|Tuesday 19 July||Beaumont Leys Library, 11am
New Parks Library, 3.30pm
|Wednesday 20 July||St Barnabas Library, 11am
Hamilton Library and Community Centre, 3.30pm
|Thursday 21 July||African Caribbean Centre, 11am
St Matthews Library and Community Centre, 3.30pm
|Friday 22 July||Pork Pie Library and Community Centre, 11am
Eyres Monsell Community Centre, 3.30pm
|Saturday 23 July||Central Library, 11am
Westcotes Library, 3.30pm
Family fun at the library: 25 July to 17 August
A free family fun afternoon, with games, puzzles, crafts and stories:
|Dates||Location and time|
|Monday 25 July||New Parks, 1-4pm|
|Tuesday 26 July||Beaumont Leys, 1-4pm|
|Wednesday 27 July||St Barnabas, 1-4pm|
|Thursday 28 July||Pork Pie, 1-4pm|
|Friday 29 July||Brite, 1-4pm|
|Monday 1 August||Aylestone, 1-4pm|
|Tuesday 2 August||Knighton, 1-4pm|
|Wednesday 3 August||Central, 1-4pm|
|Thursday 4 August||Westcotes, 1-4pm|
|Friday 5 August||Fosse, 1-4pm|
|Monday 8 August||Evington, 1-4pm|
|Tuesday 9 August||Rushey Mead, 1-4pm|
|Wednesday 10 August||Belgrave, 1-4pm|
|Thursday 11 August||Highfields, 1-4pm|
|Friday 12 August||Hamilton, 1-4pm|
|Wednesday 17 August||St Matthews, 1-4pm|
Get reading: Go grown-up Gadgeteers go!
As an adult, you can be a role model and support your children by joining in and reading six books too. Borrow books from Leicester libraries in July and August and complete the form below to be entered into our prize draw and you could win £30 worth of books.
Entries can only be received by completing the printed forms available from participating libraries; or by submitting an online entry form.
Full competition terms and conditions found below apply.
Go Grown Up Gadgeteers Go – reading competition terms and conditions
By entering you are indicating acceptance of these rules.
- You must be a registered member of Leicester Libraries, aged 18 or above.
- Employees of Neighbourhood Services are not eligible to enter.
- Only one entry per person.
- The prize is £30 worth of books. Please note that books must be available from our official supplier and that we cannot guarantee provision of your first choice(s). Therefore, we may ask for several alternatives.
- Entries can only be accepted during July and August 2022. Any entries received after midnight on August 31st will not be accepted.
- Books must have been borrowed from Leicester Libraries during the above dates. Books borrowed prior to, or after the stated period will not be considered.
- Books can be fiction or non-fiction; solely one format, or a combination of all available formats e.g. physical book, talking book, eBook, eAudiobook.
- Any entry that is illegible, lost, misplaced, incomplete, fraudulent, or which otherwise does not comply with these rules, will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Leicester Libraries.
- One winner will be chosen at random by Leicester Libraries. Our decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified no later than 10 days after the Gadgeteer Reading challenge has ended. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours of receiving the notification, we reserve the right to re-draw and choose an alternative winner (until the prize is fulfilled).
- The winner must be able to collect their prize from a Leicester Library.
- No responsibility is accepted for entries lost, damaged, or delayed as a result of any network, computer/phone hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- Leicester Libraries will only use the personal details supplied for the administration of the Gadgeteer Reading challenge.
- The winner may be asked to participate in publicity although will be under no obligation to do so.
- Leicester Libraries reserves the right to cancel, extend, or amend the terms of the Gadgeteer Reading challenge without notice due to circumstances outside its control.
- The Gadgeteer Reading challenge is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with the Reading Agency, Facebook, or Twitter.
- Data will only be collected in conjunction with your prize entry. We take data control seriously and will not distribute your data to other organisations. View our privacy notice.
Toddler Play Days
The Spark will be lighting up libraries in Leicester this summer with music, movement and play. Come along and make friends and make music at these fun, free sessions. Join the Spark as we sing, play, move, dance and smile together! Find out more at thesparkarts.co.uk.
Sound Me A Story
We can all go to the moon. All it takes is a bit of imagination. Join Mr Shay as he beatboxes you beyond the stars and back. So strap on your boots and fasten your helmets, we're about to blast off on a space adventure. Find out more at thesparkarts.co.uk.
Get Up and Go
Get Up and Go is back this summer with an online programme of fun activities. There’s a poster and certificate that you can use to get inspired and rewarded for your efforts! Download all you need to take part on our families website.
Stay connectedFollow us on Facebook or Twitter and sign up to Book News to be kept up-to-date with libraries this summer:
Illustrations © Heath McKenzie 2021