Skip to content

Coronavirus in Leicester

Get the latest information and advice
In this section

EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU citizens to continue to live, work and study in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Our EU Settlement Scheme sessions are postponed until further notice. You can still submit your application on GOV.UK.

Apply now to protect your rights

Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family members (including non-EEA citizens) should check if you need to apply to the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) to protect your rights and to continue living in the UK.

The application deadline for those who were living in the UK by the end of the transition period at 23:00 GMT on 31 December 2020, is 30 June 2021.

Even if you have permanent residence document in the UK, you still need to apply to the EUSS to stay in the UK after June 2021.

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) applies to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens even if they have been in the UK for many years, and even if they have been married to a British spouse for a long time.

If you moved to the UK before 1 January 1973, you may have been given Indefinite Leave to Remain automatically if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen. If you were, you do not need to apply to the EUSS to stay in the UK but can if you want to.

Irish citizens do not need to apply to the EUSS, but their family members who are not British or Irish need to apply.

You can find out more on the application process and get additional support at GOV.UK.