Transparency and open data
We are committed to being open and transparent and making our data freely available.
Transparency and open data directory
You can now search for data on our transparency directory which is linked above.
Using our data
The data is available for you to download and is free to use in a variety of ways. All that we ask is that you use it in accordance with the Open Government Licence which is linked above. This explains what you can and cannot do with the data.
Where possible and relevant, we have made this data available in both a ‘human-readable’ format (such as pdf) and an open, ‘machine-readable’ format that is not dependent on any specific software (such as csv or xml).
We make data available for re-use under the Re-Use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2015. You can apply to re-use our data by reading our Public task statement 2017 (attached at the bottom of this page).
Some of the datasets are available using the links below.
Sometimes we must redact some information from data sets. This means we have had to remove some data. This could be because, for example, it is personal data such as the name of a foster carer, or someone's home address. We do this to comply with the Freedom of Information Act which is linked above.
Quality of data
We take care to ensure that the data is accurate. However, you should make your own checks before relying on the data. We undertake regular data quality checks through its Information Assurance Team to ensure data accuracy wherever possible. These checks are reported regularly to the Information Management Programme Board.
We have provided the INSPIRE datasets in MapInfo format. MapInfo is a specialist software package mainly used to allow for geographic based data analysis. Two files (.mid and .mif) are provided for each dataset.
- Air quality management zones (2008) (mid file)
- Air quality management zones (2008) (mif file)
- Article 4 land (mid file)
- Article 4 land (mif file)
- Conservation area (mid file)
- Conservation area (mif file)
- Listed buildings (mid file)
- Listed buildings (mif file)
- Tree preservation order groups (mid file)
- Tree preservation order groups (mif file)
- Tree preservation order trees (mid file)
- Tree preservation order trees (mif file)
- Brownfield Register (gml file)