Skip to content

Data Protection

You have the right to apply for a copy of the personal information we hold about you under the Data Protection Act.

How do I request information?

Requesting a copy of your personal information is easy. Here's how to do it:

  • The quickest way is to use the quick link above. It will let you upload your ID documents if you are able to do so.
  • If you can't apply online, download and complete the request form at the bottom of this page.
  • Provide photocopies or scans of two forms of identification. If you can't upload them online above you can post copies to us. You can download a list of acceptable documents at the bottom of the page.

Please do not send original documents in the post.

What happens after I request access to my information?

We will work with you to make the request reasonable so you can access the information which is most important to you. We will ask questions to identify what information you require and what your working and business connections are to it.

We may also ask you to provide further proof of identification. It is important that we do not send personal data to someone pretending to be you, so please do not be offended if we ask for ID. It means we are looking after your data carefully and checking it goes to the right person.

In all cases, we are required to respond within 1 month of receiving your full request, either with the information required, or with an explanation of any delays.

What can we tell you?

You are entitled to be told whether we are using your personal data, or someone is doing so on our behalf.

You can then be given a description of the data involved; why it is being processed; who it may be disclosed to; the source of the information and the logic behind processing the information.

If no data is held, or the data falls into a category which is exempt from disclosure, you will be notified in writing.

What can’t we tell you?

We may not be able to release some data to you, such as personal data which could prejudice the prevention or detection of crime; legal advice we have been given, or personal data identifying another person without their permission.

We’re not obliged to comply with a request which simply states "I want everything the council holds on me.”

We will also not discuss other people’s details with you, without written and signed authorisation from that person if they are not present.

To discuss someone else's details with you, we will need this signed permission, or a valid legal document such as a power of attorney.

How to report a data breach

To report a data breach, please email us at or write to Information Governance, 4th Floor, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ.

Your rights

We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law. You can ask to see what data we hold of you and ask to be sent a copy. You can also ask us to correct, erase, stop using, or transfer the information you gave us.

More about your rights.

Times we may give your information away

Sometimes we can, or have, to release information about you to our partners, or other professional organisations. Solicitors may request information for legal proceedings, or the police may make a request to prevent or detect crime.

You can find out how we process personal data by reading our Privacy notice.

We currently do not charge for crime requests, but we make a £100 administration charge for requests for legal proceedings. You can pay your £100 fee online through My Account.

Access to CCTV footage

You can apply for CCTV footage of you to be released under the Data Protection Act. Reasons for footage to be released include to assist with criminal proceedings, or to resolve insurance claims after road accidents. 

Contact us