We will only hold your personal information for as long as necessary for business purposes or if we are required to keep it by law.
You can find out how long we keep data on the following link:
- Retention schedule (PDF)
You can ask to see what data we hold about you and ask to be sent a copy. This is called a Subject Access Request. Submit a request online through My Account.
Subject Access Requests will be free of charge unless there is a lot of work or a lot of photocopying and postage, which we are allowed to charge a reasonable fee for.
You can also ask us to:
- correct your data if you think it is wrong (Right to Rectification);
- erase your personal data in certain circumstances (Right to Erasure);
- stop using your data if you think it is wrong or we shouldn’t have it, until it’s put right or deleted (Right to Restriction);
- stop using your data if you think we no longer should be using it (Right to Object);
- transfer the information you gave us from one organisation to another, or give it to you. The right only applies if we are processing information based on your consent or under, or in talks about entering into a contract and the processing is automated (Right to Data Portability);
- consider any complaint you have about how we have used your data.
In addition you have the right:
- not to be subject to a decision that is based solely on automated processing if the decision affects your legal rights or other equally important matters (e.g. automatic refusal of an online credit application, and e-recruiting practices without human intervention)
- to understand the reasons behind decisions made about you by automated processing and the possible consequences of the decisions, and
- to object to profiling in certain situations, including for direct marketing.
You can read more about this on the ICO website.
Requests for information or complaints
If you wish to ask us anything about data protection, want to ask for a copy of your data, or you have a complaint about how we have used or looked after your data, you may contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Data Protection Officer
Information Governance & Risk
4th Floor, Rutland Wing
115 Charles Street
If you are ever unhappy with how the council has answered your complaint, you can then contact the Information Commissioner’s Office, at:
v1.6 31 October 2018