Skip to content

Information for Ukrainians

This information is only for people who come to the UK under the Homes for Ukraine scheme. It will be updated regularly to include links to up-to-date guidance and sources of support, both locally and nationally.

Register for Homes for Ukraine

Visit to register your interest to be sponsored by the UK.

You can register at any time and from any place across Europe. You do not need to be in the UK. You’ll be granted three years' right to remain in the UK, and be provided with accommodation for six months in the UK, which might be in someone’s home or in a property they own.

You’ll also be provided with access to some social welfare benefits, as well as access to healthcare and schools. You will also have the right to work in the UK.

Welcome to Leicester

Welcome to Leicester. This information is for Ukrainians arriving in Leicester on the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme. If you have recently arrived in Leicester under this scheme, it is likely that the council’s refugee support team have already been in touch with you. If you would like to speak to us you can email

The information on this page does not apply to anyone arriving independently, or on a family visa or other kind of scheme.

Before you begin, please read the UK Government’s welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK (available in English, Ukrainian and Russian).

This covers things you need to know in your first few days in the UK and will help you get used to life here.

You will have been given contact details for your support worker. They can help you to:

  • apply for money to pay for food and other essentials
  • look for work
  • open a bank account
  • register with a doctor (also known as a GP, or general practitioner) and get medical care
  • apply for a school place for your children and visit your local children’s centre
  • apply to go to college or further education
  • find a class to learn English.

You can also link in with Leicester’s Ukrainian community Leicester Ukrainian Community - Linktree.

Health services

You can see a doctor and use health services while you are in the UK. You will need to register with a doctor. Find out more about health services.


You have the right to work while you are in the UK. As a worker, you have rights protected in UK law.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against anyone applying for work, or already working, on the basis of age, race, religion, disability, sex, gender reassignment, marital status, sexual orientation or pregnancy.

You should keep hold of your ID documents such as your passport. Your employer does not have the right to keep them. Find information about your rights as a worker.

A National Insurance number is an account number that is unique to you and ensures that all National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded on your tax account.

You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you have the right to work in the UK. Apply for a National Insurance number.

Speak to your support worker if you have any questions about looking for work and applying for jobs. Leicester Employment Hub can also help you to find work.

About Leicester

Leicester is the largest city in the East Midlands and has a population of over 300,000 people. It has a rich history and a wide range of things to see and do. Find out more about the city on our website.

About Leicester City Council

Leicester City Council is responsible for many of the major decisions affecting the lives of the city's residents, communities and businesses. Find out more about Leicester City Council and what we do.

Useful links