Skip to content

Noise control

Noise from domestic, commercial and industrial sources can be annoying, disturb sleep and cause distress to neighbours.

What is noise nuisance?

Noise must be classed as a 'statutory nuisance' for us to take action, which means it has to be regularly affecting your quality of life. This can include disturbing your sleep at night or being heard clearly over your television during the day.

Domestic noise

  • Loud music, parties and musical instruments
  • Dog barking
  • Outdoor events (for more information, please download our leaflet below).
  • Alarms from domestic premises.
  • Car alarms

Commercial and industrial noise

  • Music from bars, restaurants, clubs
  • Noisy equipment in commercial or industrial premises e.g. extraction flues
  • Construction and demolition sites.
  • Alarms from commercial premises

What action can we take?

We have to hear the noise from within a complainant's property when it's occurring to decide what action they can take.

We can visit you when the noise is occurring or if the noise complained of is of short duration, a Noise Monitoring Recorder (NMR) can be installed in your home. There is a waiting list for this equipment and you will be asked to keep a diary.

We're unable to take anonymous complaints, but we do keep your personal details confidential.

When the noise is reported for the first time, an officer will contact you within five working days to discuss your concerns. You may then be asked to call the monitoring service each time the noise affects you so an officer can visit and assess it

If we witness a noise nuisance, we will deal with it informally by serving a warning letter. If the noise nuisance persists action we can take includes:

  • serving a legal document called an ‘abatement notice’
  • interviewing the noise perpetrator under caution
  • obtaining a warrant from the courts and seizing noise equipment
  • disabling audible intruder alarms
  • prosecution.

For commercial premises, action can be taken if conditions on a premises licence are breached and/or planning conditions are contravened.

How can I avoid causing noise nuisance?

Almost all noise problems can be avoided if consideration is given to how the noisy activity might affect your neighbours. Our leaflets below provide advice and simple tips on how to avoid causing noise nuisance. If you require any further information, please contact us.

Burglar alarms

If you have an audible intruder alarm fitted to your property, you must ensure it is regularly maintained. If your alarm is sounding continuously for more than 20 minutes and we receive complaints about the noise, we have powers to disconnect it. We have to charge for this service and it could cost you more than £200.

Find out more....