Licensing service changes We have made temporary changes to our licensing services due to the coronavirus - get more details. ×

Transport and street licences and permits

Consent is required before any street trading is carried out on streets. We issue licences for various activities on the highway.

Further information

We issue licences relating to the taxi trade:

  • hackney carriage and private hire vehicle drivers
  • hackney carriage and private hire vehicles
  • private hire operators.

We operate our own vehicle testing station, where all hackney carriages and private hire vehicles that we license are tested twice a year. The station is also open to members of the public for standard MOT tests.