Become a trader at Leicester Markets
Leicester Market is located in the heart of the city centre and has a proud history of over 700 years. The market has over 170 outdoor stalls and 19 units selling fruit, vegetables and other products.
There is also a food hall selling meat, fish, cheese, and deli products. Both the market and food hall are open Monday – Saturday but closed on bank holidays.
Leicester also has another, smaller market. Beaumont Market has over 40 stalls and units selling fruit and vegetables, books, clothing, second hand goods, bric-a-brac and more. Beaumont Market is open Wednesday – Saturday with a casual market and car boot on Sunday.
Many successful businesses have started on markets and it’s a great way to see if starting your own business is right for you.
Quick task for existing traders
How do I become a trader?
Becoming a new trader at Leicester or Beaumont Market is simple and straightforward – our casual trading system allows you to come in on the morning you wish to trade and get a stall that day. As a casual trader you can experiment with trading on different days and locations so you can get an idea of what works best for you. The best thing is there is no obligation for you to trade for any period of time so you can choose what suits your schedule.
What paperwork do I need to become a trader?
- Photo ID: passport or driver’s license
- Proof of address: recent utilities bill or bank statement
- Proof of insurance: all traders are required to hold public and product liability insurance for up to £5 million which can be purchased from one of several companies.
Do I need to book a stall in advance?
There is no need to book in advance or inform us that you are coming. Please report to the locations below between 8am and 8.30am if you are looking to trade casually:
- Leicester Market, Customer Care Centre, 2-4 Market Place South, Leicester, LE1 5HB
- Beaumont Market, Beaumont Shopping Centre, Beaumont Way, Leicester, LE4 1DS.
How much does it cost?
- £14 for single table stalls
- £19 for double table stalls
- All stalls have a casual surcharge:
- Monday-Friday: £1.50 per stall per day.
- Saturday: £2.50 per stall per day.
- Wednesday-Friday £8.10
- Saturday £14.
- Market £10 per stall
- Car boot £8 per car
- Double space for van £12.
- All stalls have a 20p levy per day
- Surcharge Wednesday-Friday £1.50 per day per stall
- Surcharge Saturday £2.50 per day per stall.
How do I get a regular stall at the market?
Once you get some experience trading on the market, you can decide what days and locations suit you best. Most traders like to tender for a stall so that they know exactly where they will be trading on each day.
How do I tender?
We call the process of getting a regular stall ‘tendering.’ The reason for this is that you as long as you don’t go below the minimum or basic price, you can pick the amount that you are willing to pay.
- First come to our office and pick up the vacant stall list once tenders have opened – there’s one for each day. Decide which stalls and which days you want to tender for.
- Sign for tender forms. You will need one for each day/stall you want to tender for.
- Complete the tender form (let us know if you have any questions) and hand back into the office before the deadline.
- We will do our best to let you know in writing within 5 working days of the closing date whether or not you are successful.
The process for applying for a regular stall is slightly different at Beaumont Market. Please ring 0116 223 2378 for more information.
When you become a permanent trader you get the added benefit of six weeks’ annual leave (you must apply for annual leave no less than 7 days in advance), and four weeks sick leave (sick note required from your doctor) where you are not liable for rent.
If you have any questions or if you need any support please get in touch with our Development Office on 0116 223 2372.