Skip to content

Telephone line issues

Sorry, we are experiencing technical difficulties with our phone lines and are working to fix the problem. You can access many of our services online or by searching our website.

Complaints about councillors

If you think a councillor or the City Mayor has breached the code, you can complain to our Monitoring Officer.

All councillors and the City Mayor follow a Code of Conduct. Please note that the Code of Conduct applies when councillors are on council business or otherwise in their capacity as a member of council. It will not apply to councillors' conduct of their private lives.

You can find a copy of this Code at the bottom of this page.

How to make a complaint

You can:

  • complete our online form
  • fill out the form which is attached below 
  • Apply in writing to: The Monitoring Officer, Legal Services Division, Leicester City Council, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ. 
  • send an email of your complaint to:

How your complaint will be dealt with

We have agreed a procedure for dealing with complaints, called Arrangements for dealing with standards complaints. A full copy of this is attached at the bottom of this page and will give you further information of the process involved.

Complaints that the Monitoring Officer cannot deal with

  • council employees
  • behaviour that took place before the person was a councillor
  • the way the Council conducts or records its meetings
  • actions or decisions taken by the council - this may be a matter for the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

I want to complain about council services or officers

If you have a complaint about our services or officers, then you should use our complaints procedure. To find out more about the complaints procedure you can:

Call us on: 0116 454 1000
Visit our section on: Comments, compliments and complaints

Further information

For further information about making a complaint about a Leicester city councillor, or to obtain records of previous decisions made by the Standards Committee use the contact details below to get in touch:

Call us on: 0116 454 6350
Email us:

Anonymous complaints

Anonymous complaints will not be accepted because of the difficulties they cause with investigation.