Skip to content

Work and learning

Together we will work with you and other organisations to offer learning and work place opportunities, including going to college or university, work experience, apprenticeships and job opportunities.

We will also provide support to make sure you receive any additional help you require if you have special educational needs and/or disabilities. This includes taking into account the support you require which has been identified in your Education, Health and Care Plan if you have one until age 25.

Careers Advice

When you are ready to start thinking about work, we will help you to access careers advice. This may be through your college, university, higher education setting or through local advice centres such as Futures and Connexions or online via the National Careers Service.

This may include:

  • Helping you to develop your CV, including highlight courses and training that will help develop your skills.
  • Helping you to find a job
  • Providing advice about job interviews and employment processes
  • Providing a reference

Work experience

Work experience provides opportunities for learning about the skills, behaviours, careers, roles and structures that exist within a workplace.

We are committed to increasing the number of work experience placements available through the council, it’s partners and local businesses.

If this is something you are interested in, speak with your leaving care advisor. 


An apprenticeship is a job combined with a skills development and training programme. They are a great opportunity to develop your skills whilst earning some money. If this is something you are interested in, speak with your leaving care advisor.

We are committed to increasing the number of care experienced adults apprenticeships available through the council, it’s partners and local businesses.

As a care experienced adult you are entitled to a £1000 bursary from your training provider. Speak with your leaving care advisor to find out how to access these funds.

Leicestershire Cares

Leicestershire Cares local charter enables businesses in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to sign up and say that they are committed to supporting looked after children and care leavers into independence. The charter is flexible and tailored to what businesses can offer care experienced people. This involves work experience, work tours or volunteering opportunities, or could be as simple as providing discounts on their services or contributing or donating items to group sessions.

Thinking of going to college?

If you would like to go to college your leaving care advisor and connexions adviser will offer you help and guidance to make sure you are supported to choose the right course and to do well in college.  Many local colleges provide extra support to care experienced adults as they also want you to succeed and achieve your potential.

To find out about local colleges near you visit ‘find a college’.

Your connexions advisor knows the key people at all the local colleges so they can help you with everything you need, from choosing the right course, to helping with your application, preparing for an interview, helping to apply for any benefits you may be entitled to whilst you’re in education or training, and helping you whilst you are at college.

If you would like any support accessing and attending open days, interviews or help with your applications please speak with your leaving care advisor or your connexions worker.

Thinking of going to university?

If you would like to apply to go to university, we will support you with:

  • Finding a course that is best for you.
  • Securing suitable accommodation, including somewhere to stay over the holiday periods.
  • Helping to get you and your belongings to and from university.
  • Supporting you to access financial support, loans and bursaries.
  • Buying equipment that you may need (including books, laptops and other course equipment).

Many universities provide additional support to care experienced adults, so it’s always worth searching the websites or contacting the student support service of the ones you’re interested in to find out what they offer. 

Further information can be found on the Propel website.

Our local university offers are set out below: