Oral health for adults
Oral cancer has strong links with smoking and drinking too much alcohol. In Leicester more people smoke and are admitted to hospital for alcohol-related conditions than the national average.
What can I do?
There are lots of simple things that you can do to look after your oral health:
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit the amount of sugary drinks and food you have
- Stop smoking - visit our stop smoking page for more information
- Restrict the amount of alcohol you drink
- Visit a dentist regularly.
Finding a dentist
- Visit the NHS Choices website
- Contact Leicester Healthwatch on 0116 251 8313.
Urgent dental care
If you need urgent dental care, please call 111.
November is Mouth Cancer Action Month
It’s Mouth Cancer Action Month throughout November. Last year in the UK, more than 8,300 people were diagnosed with mouth cancer. Certain risk factors such as smoking and drinking excessively increases your chances of developing mouth cancer. Early detection is key, so visiting a local dentist and learning how to self-check your mouth is important.
Throughout the month, our Oral Health team are hosting events at various locations across the city with a focus on workplaces. If you would like to attend an event to talk to a member of the team and a local dentist, pop into one of our sessions below:
|Young people and young adults||13 November||11am-2pm||The Y Theatre, East Street|
|All adults||15 November||9am-1pm||Belgrave Neighbourhood Centre|
|Breastfeeding women only||20 November||10-11.30am||Highfields Children's Centre|