Walk to primary schools
WOW – Living Streets walk to school challenge - encourages primary-school aged children and their families to travel actively to school by rewarding them with collectible badges. Resources are available free of charge to a limited number of Leicester City schools each academic year.
How WOW works
The WOW challenge encourages children and their families to travel actively to school and log their daily travel in class on the interactive Travel Tracker. Pupils who walk, scoot, cycle, bus or park and stride to school at least once a week are rewarded with a monthly collectible WOW badge. 11 badges are available to collect each school year.
The Travel Tracker shows which pupils have earned a badge and school staff can run reports to see travel habits at a whole school or class level. This data can be used as part of lesson activities, to monitor (and celebrate!) active travel improvements, and as evidence towards Eco-Schools, Healthy Schools and Modeshift STARS awards.
On average, WOW schools see a 30% reduction in car journeys taken to the school gate and a 23% increase in walking rates.
Living Streets will help schools set-up and launch WOW as well as be on hand to support once up and running. Curriculum-aligned resources are also available.
WOW can be adapted to suit each school’s needs so please contact them to discuss how the scheme could work best for your school. They can also arrange a visit or video call to show you the resources and demonstrate how the Travel Tracker works.
Reasons to take part
- Safety - not only is it a perfect time for children to learn important road safety skills, but more walking to school means fewer cars crowding the school gates.
- Healthy body – it's recommended that children get at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day. Walking to school goes a long way to achieving this goal. They'll also arrive in class fit, refreshed and ready to learn.
- Eco-friendly - it's a cost-effective and fun way for everyone to do their part for the environment and air quality. Participation in WOW can be used towards achieving Eco-Schools awards.
- Hidden treasures - walking to school can help children build confidence and independence, as well as develop their knowledge of their local community.
- Fun and social - it's an ideal time for children and their families and friends to spend together.
How to sign up
Free WOW resources are available to a limited number of Leicester City schools each academic year.
To find out more or to express an interest in taking part contact Sarah, your local Living Streets Coordinator, on 07595 781875 or email her at email@example.com.