Skip to content

Households with disabled people

Under occupancy rules apply equally to disabled people. If your home has been significantly adapted and a room is no longer able to be used as a bedroom, you might be able to apply for help with your rent through the discretionary housing payment fund.

If you have a child or adult with a disability which means that they are not able to share a room – for example because a child has severe disabilities and they disturb the sleep of the other child – you might be allowed an extra bedroom.

We take each case individually and will consider whether the disability is so disruptive that the children cannot be expected to share a room.

You may be allowed an additional bedroom if you require a overnight carer staying over frequently and who is not part of your household.