Register a birth
Find out how to register a birth and what restrictions apply due to coronavirus.
Can I book an appointment by phone?
No, we are currently not taking appointments by phone. Please submit a request for an appointment using the quick link above. We will then contact you. We will be in touch as soon as we are able to.
You can only register the birth of a baby who was born in the city of Leicester.
I live in Leicestershire, can I register at my local office?
Yes, please visit the Leicestershire County Council website for more information and to book an appointment.
What about births outside of Leicester?
We are not registering births of babies who were born elsewhere. Please contact the register office in the area where the child was born.
What about re-registrations?
We are now processing re-registrations. You will need to complete a re-registration form via GOV.UK and return the form to us via post, using the address at the bottom of this page.
Important information for your appointment
- If you have a high temperature, a persistent cough or a loss of taste and smell, or are living with someone who is displaying any of these symptoms, you must not come to the Town Hall for your appointment.
- Arrive in time for your appointment - if you are late you will not be seen. You will need to contact the Register Office by email email@example.com to rebook your appointment.
- Please be aware, there will be no indoor waiting facilities, if you arrive early for your appointment.
- Please do not bring babies or children to the Register Office.
- Make sure you bring the following documents with you for your appointment:
- passports for both parents
- driving licence
- marriage certificate
- proof of address
- baby’s red book.
- To reduce the risk of contamination, please bring a black pen for your appointment.
- If you have any mobility issues, please make us aware at the time of booking.
- The mother of the baby
- The father of the baby if he was married to the mother at the time of the birth
- The mother and the father jointly if they are not married at the time of the birth.
- Either parent attending alone, if they were not married at the time of birth, with a legal document signed by the other parent.
- The mother, if she is not married to the father, may register alone leaving out the details of the father. At a later date an application to re-register the birth may be made to include the father's details or following the marriage of the mother and father.
- Your baby’s name, date of birth, place of birth and sex
- The mother’s name, maiden name if appropriate, place of birth, address and occupation
- The name, place of birth and occupation of the father, if he is being registered. If he is unemployed, his last occupation will be needed.
Other information is legally required but will not be entered in the register. This confidential information will be used for statistical purposes.
- The father’s date of birth, where his name is entered in the register
- The mother’s date of birth
- The month and year of the marriage, when the baby’s parents are married
- Whether the mother has been married more than once
- Number of mother’s previous live children and stillbirths
All certificates will cost £11 per copy. You will only be able to order two certificates at the time of registration. Extra copies will need to be ordered online.
Free short birth certificates are no longer issued at the time of registration.
Leicestershire residents should check on their website for options on how to book an appointment.
Write to us: The City of Leicester Register Office, Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Leicester, LE1 9BG