Guidance and FAQs
Our guidance and FAQs can help answer your queries about this process.
Who can apply?
There are restrictions on who can apply. Find out about applying for housing and other housing options.
Who can join the housing register?
You can apply to join the housing register provided:
- You are eligible for an allocation of accommodation
- You are 18 years or over
- You meet one of the housing need priorities in Bands 1-3 as set out in the housing allocations policy
- You meet the local connection requirement by satisfying at least one of the following criteria:
- You have lived continuously within the city of Leicester for the past two years in settled accommodation prior to making your application.
- You have previously lived in settled accommodation within the city for three consecutive years out of the last five years
- You are currently working in the city and have been for the last 12 months
- You will need to give or receive support to direct family members who have been living in the city for the past five years
- You are a council or housing association tenant who needs to move for work related reasons.
Who can't apply?
There are restrictions on some people who cannot apply. You do not qualify to join the housing register if:
- You do not meet one of the criteria listed above
- You are a home owner
- Your family household's gross income is more than £31,000 per annum or £25,000 per annum for a single person household
- You have savings or assets totalling more than £50,000
- You are excluded from appearing on the housing register (for example, due to your immigration status or because of anti-social behaviour)
- It has been found you have given false or misleading information
- You have deliberately worsened your housing circumstances.