Skip to content

Sent us an application or email?

If you have have received an automatic acknowledgment after submitting an application or email, please do not try and call us – we will respond to you as soon as we can.

Premises licences

A premises licence is required for the sale or supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment, or the provision of late night refreshment.

How do I apply?

Application forms are available below to apply for a new licence and to make changes to an existing licence. Guidance documents are also provided below. Policy documents can be viewed on the Policy and guidance page.

What does it cost?

Fees are set nationally, and can be viewed on our policy and guidance page.

What is the process?

The law says applications must be granted if there are no representations. This means that an application will be granted with the hours and conditions set out in the application form. There will be additional mandatory conditions added to the licence according to the activities the licence allows.

If relevant representations are received then the application will be determined following a formal hearing. After a hearing the licence may be granted as applied for, granted with shorter hours or reduced activities, granted with additional conditions, or refused. An application for an alcohol licence may also be granted subject to a different designated supervisor being named on the licence.

Sale and supply of alcohol

Every sale of alcohol must be made or supervised by a personal licence holder. Please visit our personal licences page for more details. The licence must also name a designated premises supervisor, who must hold a personal licence.

Due to the importance of the role, it is considered good practice for more than one personal licence holder to be associated with each licensed premises.

Temporary permission for off sales

The Business and Planning Act 2020 allows for a premises licensed for on sales of alcohol to temporarily make off sales as well. This is to help businesses make use of outdoor spaces as part of their recovery from the coronavirus pandemic. Guidance is available at GOV.UK.

There are two types of extension:

  • To temporarily add off sales to licences that only permit on sales of alcohol
  • To temporarily disapply conditions that limit alcohol deliveries, restrict alcohol being sold in open containers or limit off sales to shorter hours than those for on sales of alcohol

In both cases the premises licence holder must display a formal statement that they are making use of the temporary extension. Licence holders can produce a statement via our temporary permission to make off sales form.

These provisions expire no later than 31 March 2025.

Please note: This temporary extension does not override the current requirement for premises to close at 10pm.

Immigration checks

New rules were introduced on 6 April 2017, which require immigration checks to be carried out on individuals and partnerships applying for a premises licence. The applicant must send a copy of their completed application to the Alcohol and Licensing Team, Home Office, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY, or email it to

Regulated entertainment

There have been a number of changes to regulated entertainment since the Licensing Act was made in 2003. The situation at April 2015 is explained in the attachment below.

How do I object to an application?

The responsible authorities and 'any other person' may make representation about an application for a new premises licence or club premises certificate, or an application to vary an existing licence or certificate. They may also apply for an existing licence or certificate to be reviewed, if one or more of the licensing objectives are not being met. Representations must be made in writing and may be made via our representation in respect of premises licence form, by post or by email:

How do I change my existing licence?

Various changes may be made to an existing licence through a formal application. These include:

  • full variation
  • minor variation
  • variation of designated premises supervisor.

A change of name or address of licence holder or designated premises supervisor must be made in writing, but there is no prescribed form. The existing licence must be submitted with the request, or a reason given why it can't be provided.

How do I complain about an existing licence?

There is a formal process for existing licences to be reviewed if the licensing objectives are not being upheld. A responsible authority or any other person can apply for a review using the form below.

Copies must be given to the licensing authority, the police, the fire service and the licence holder. There is a 28 day representation period followed by a formal review hearing three to four weeks later. After a review hearing the panel has a range of options ranging from taking no action to revoking the licence.

Requirement to obtain other consents/permissions

Other permissions may be required in addition to your premises licence. Please visit the apply for pre-application advice page for further information on planning.

Please note that obtaining a premises licence does not override the requirement to obtain any consents required under other legislation including Planning. Enforcement action can be taken under other legislation including planning if you run a business without the benefit of the required consent/permission.

Responsible authorities