Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles
Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles aims to improve the oral health of children and adults in Leicester, and reduce tooth decay and associated health issues.
What you need to know about oral health
There are some very simple messages that you can use to help promote good oral health in your setting or at home:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes with a fluoride toothpaste, once before bed and one other time during the day.
- Eat less sugary food and drink - find out more at dentalhealth.org
- Visit your dentist regularly. Book a visit to the dentist once your child gets their first tooth and regularly.
Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles aims to provide:
- Free toothbrushes and toothpaste for children in oral health packs. All children in the city will receive five oral health care packs by the time they are five, which contain a toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste and oral health information.
- Free baby bottle swaps in all of our children, young people and families centres.
- Supervised toothbrushing. Many of our early year’s settings (aged 0-5) take part in our free supervised toothbrushing programme where your children will learn how to brush their teeth properly every day.
Top tips to help improve your child’s oral health
There are a number of simple steps you can take:
- Take your child to see the dentist before they are one and go regularly.
- Brush your child's teeth as soon as the first tooth appears.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Don't rinse after brushing just spit the toothpaste out.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste.
- Ask your dentist about fluoride varnish.
- Limit sugary drinks and snacks to mealtimes only.
You can also view and download our free oral health resources.
You can also find information on establishing a good bed time routine at NHS.UK.
To find out how to access these services, contact our oral health team:
- Oral health team:
Accredited Healthy Teeth, Happy Smiles dental practices
The following dental practices in Leicester are accredited family-friendly and have demonstrated their commitment to improving children’s oral health in the city.
|Practice name||Address||Tel number|
|Moti Smile Design Centre||286 Aylestone Road, LE2 7QT||0116 283 2334|
|Saffron Lane Dental Practice||591 Saffron Lane, LE2 6UN||0116 283 2612|
|Willowbrook Dental Practice||339 Humberstone Road, LE5 3DF||0116 262 1151|
|JDRM Dental Care Limited||10 Nelson St, LE1 7BA||0116 296 1473|
|JDRM Dental Care Limited||5 Roman St, LE3 0BD||0116 296 1478|
|Smilecare||72 Beaumont Leys Lane, LE4 2BA||0116 266 1422|
|Splendental Dental Care||498 Narborough Rd, LE3 2FU||0116 289 1078|
|Smile Dental Practitioners||222 Uppingham Road, LE5 0QG||0116 246 0795|
|Parkview Dental Practice||138 Victoria Park Rd, LE2 1XD||0116 270 1116|
|The Whitehouse Dental||36 East Park Road, LE5 5HH||0116 273 0456|
|Gohil's Dental Practice||194 East Park Rd, LE5 5FD||0116 273 8710|
|Practices working towards their accreditation||Address||Tel number|
|Winchester Avenue Dental Surgery||34 Winchester Avenue, LE3 1AU||0116 291 0055|