Sport on parks
We provide a programme of outdoor recreational activities in parks, playing fields and open spaces throughout Leicester.
There are 10 bowling greens throughout the city, all of which have their own individually clubs, catering for men's, women's and mixed games. Situated in eight of the city's parks.
- Abbey Park - Abbey Park Mixed Club
- Aylestone Hall Gardens – Aylestone Hall Gardens Mens and Aylestone Hall Gardens Ladies Bowls club
- Evington Park - Evington Park mixed club
- Humberstone Park - Humberstone Park Mixed and Humberstone Park Ladies Bowls club
- Monks Rest Gardens – Old Humberstone Mixed Bowls
- Rushey Fields - Rushey Mead Mixed Bowls club
- Spinney Hill Park – Spinney Hill Mixed Bowls club
- Western Park - Western Park Men's and Western Park Ladies Bowls club
We have four grass cricket wickets and nine artificial wickets for both junior and senior play. Subject to availability, wickets are prepared from mid-April to mid-September at nine different parks and open spaces. Three-hour slots are available for casual bookings.
- Aylestone Playing Fields – one artificial wicket
- Evington Park – two artificial wickets
- Humberstone Park - one artificial wicket
- Knighton Park - one artificial wicket
- Rushey Fields - one artificial wicket
- Spinney Hill Park - one artificial wicket (recreational use only)
- Victoria Park - one artificial wicket
- Welford Road Playing Fields - one artificial wicket
- Western Park - four grass wickets.
Cricket tournaments need to be booked as an event. For more information, please see the link below:
The Leicester Croquet Club was established in 1985 and is based at the pavilion and croquet green at Monks Rest Gardens. The season runs from April to October. New members are welcome. Full tuition and introductory courses are organised by the club through the season. For more information please visit the Leicester Croquet Club website.
Fitness on parks
A range of organised fitness programmes are available in Leicester parks including Park Run at Victoria Park and at Braunstone Park, Aylestone junior park-run, Kids run free at Knighton Park and at Braunstone Park.
See our section on Fitness on parks.
There are a total 60 football pitches on our parks. Football pitches are prepared from September to mid April at a number of parks and open spaces. All games must be booked in advanced through the office giving at least seven days notice.
Further information about local leagues can be found on the Leicestershire & Rutland County FA website.
Orienteering is a challenging outdoor adventure sport enjoyed by people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Courses are available at Abbey Park, Braunstone Park, Castle Hill Country Park, Evington Park, Arboretum, Knighton Park, Watermead Country Park South and Western Park. You can download maps from the British Orienteering website.
Courses are normally named after colours of the rainbow and are graded from easy to moderate. Leicestershire Orienteering club runs an event every week in the summer and alternate weeks in the winter. Advice and guidance on how to improve your skills is available on club training nights. More information is available on the Leicestershire Orienteering club website.
If you are looking for an orienteering challenge for your school or youth group, please email the Leicestershire Orienteering Club.
Ping! tables are permanently installed at seven parks across Leicester:
- Abbey Park
- Evington Park
- Jesse Jackson Park
- Knighton Park
- Spinney Hill Park
- Victoria Park
- Western Park
Leicester Blue Sox baseball club
The club are now permanently based at Western park. For more information please see the following link:
The 11 locations below have courts that are free to use:
- Abbey Park - five courts
- Aylestone Playing Fields - two courts
- Aylestone Hall Gardens - two courts
- Evington Park - six courts
- Humberstone Park - four courts
- Knighton Park - two courts
- Monks Rest Gardens - five courts
- Mowmacre Sports Ground - three courts
- Rushey Fields - four courts
- Victoria Park - four floodlit courts.
- Western Park - six courts
Find out about the Leicester Tennis League.