Skip to content

Travel aid for unemployed people

The travel aid pass allows Leicester residents who are unemployed to travel by bus for half fare on local bus services in Leicester and Leicestershire.

Who is it for?

The travel aid pass aims to make both job seeking easier and ease the financial cost of bus use while you are unemployed. It cannot be used for train travel.

The pass is free and is valid for a two-month period (56 days). You must still purchase a discounted ticket from the driver or bus company to travel.

Who is eligible?

  1. You must be a Leicester City resident.
  2. You must be registered unemployed, and receiving Job Seeker's Allowance or Universal Credit as a work seeker.
  3. You must not already have an active older persons or disabled persons concessionary pass.

How do I use my pass?

Only you are able to use the travel aid pass. It cannot be used by anyone else.

You need to show the bus driver both your travel aid photo card and the ticket part. The photo card is proof you are the official card holder. The ticket shows that it is linked to the photocard and the dates your ticket can be used between.

The driver will then be able to offer you a 50% discount on the fare for your journey. This discount is available on single/return trips, a weekly or 10 trip ticket. The pass does not entitle you to discounts on tickets of a longer duration.

If challenged by a revenue inspector or an official person, you should show both your ticket and both parts of your travel aid pass. 

How do I apply?

Before applying online, please do ensure you have the following items ready to upload as proof of your identity:

  1. either your: passport, driving licence, birth certificate or proof of residency (document showing your name and address) and;
  2. proof of your entitlement such as your Universal Credit or bank statement.
  3. passport sized photograph of yourself (in line with passport standards)


How long will it take to process my pass?

Once your application has been submitted we will review all the information submitted to us and then we will post out the pass.

Please allow up to 28 days for us to process your application.

Frequently asked questions

If you have a travel aid pass and you have found work, please continue to use the pass until it expires. You must inform us that you have found work by providing proof of your employment.

You can send in your proof of employment to the email shown below or you can report any change of circumstances by emailing us at

If your pass is lost or stolen, please email us with your full name, address, and your contact number at

If you have a travel aid pass and you have moved out of Leicester, there are three ways you can let us know:

Send a photo by email

You must cut the photo card in two, take a photo of the two halves and send a picture of the pieces to

By post

Or you can post the photo card to: Leicester City Council, 115 Charles Street, 2nd Floor, Rutland Wing, Transport Strategy (Travel Aid), Leicester, LE1 1FZ.

In person

Hand the card in an envelope addressed to Transport Strategy (Travel Aid) at any city library or our Customer Services Centre on Granby Street, Leicester.