Skip to content

What is home care?

Home care is sometimes called domiciliary care or support.

A care worker can help with your care in your own home.

You may need help because you:

  1. have a disability
  2. are frail and elderly.

Personal care might include:

  1. getting in and out of bed
  2. washing
  3. dressing.

Who is eligible?

People may be eligible for support from the council to find and fund home care if they have a high level of needs and, if they were not supported, would face a significant impact on their wellbeing.

Most people who are eligible for support will have to make a contribution towards the cost of their care, and some people will have to pay the full cost.

If people are eligible, they can either ask the council to arrange their care or receive a direct payment and arrange it themselves.

How do I find a home care agency?

Home care arranged by Leicester City Council

We will use our contracted providers, if possible - these are agencies we already have contracts with. However, we may need to use a non-contracted provider for a short period if our contracted providers don't have capacity.

All of our providers are experienced and registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can find out more here: Care Quality Commission

People will be offered a choice of provider.

It may not always be possible to give people their preference of call times.

Where can I get home care?

You can:

  1. use a home care agency
  2. employ someone directly to be your personal assistant.

How do I find a home care agency?

You can:
  1. search for a home care Agency in your area using our social care and wellbeing directory MyChoice 
  2. check if the Care Quality Commission (CQC) has registered and inspected a particular agency. The CQC regulates all home care providers. It publishes inspection reports on its website. When considering a service, it's always a good idea to check its report.