Do I need permission?

Planning permission is required for the development of land. If you are planning on carrying out building work on land or property that you own you may require permission.

Further information

Typical developments include:

  • changing the use of land and/or buildings
  • construction or alteration of buildings
  • most other construction and engineering works
  • some forms of demolition

When is planning permission not needed?

Certain works don't need planning permission, for instance internal alterations to non-listed buildings. However, most structural building works will need consent.

Planning land uses are defined in the Use Classes Order, which is summarised on the Planning Portal website which is linked below. Changes of use within a single 'Use Class' don't need planning permission - for instance, planning permission isn't needed to change from a pet shop to a hairdresser's or vice versa. If you're in any doubt, always contact the planning service before changing the use of premises or land.

Some types of development don’t need formal approval as they are granted blanket approval by government regulations. These are called permitted development and cover operational development such as minor alterations to buildings, and some changes of use.

Some minor alterations to dwelling houses, including small extensions and porches, garden sheds, may fall under the definition of permitted development and may not need planning permission. You are always advised to check with us before carrying out any works. Again, many of these works will need separate approval.

In some cases we remove permitted development rights, in which case you must apply for planning permission.

When are permitted development rights removed?

We will remove permitted development rights in certain circumstances:

  • Article 3 Directions are a condition on a planning permission, which restricts further extensions, alterations or uses. To check on such conditions you can search our planning database and view the decision notices relating to your property.
  • Article 4 Directions apply to a group of properties and often cover a large area, and are most frequently, but not always, used in conservation areas. They usually remove rights to make minor alterations to houses, including the replacement of doors and windows.

Contact us

We prefer enquiries to be emailed where possible

Send us a message
Write to us: Planning, Leicester City Council, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ