Planning applications

If you are planning on carrying out building work on land or property that you own, you may require planning permission.

Further information

Planning permission is a legal document, issued by us, which allows specific development at a particular site, for example building works or a change of use.

Before you submit an application please visit the planning portal. This is the government’s online planning service where you will find information on your responsibilities as a householder or landowner. Also see the interactive guide for householders which explains how the planning process works for typical householder projects.

When you need it

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to build something new, make a major change to a building - for example, building or change the use of your building or where your proposal effects a conservation area or listed building.

When you don't need it - permitted development rights

Some work does not require planning permission. This is known as permitted development and covers certain small extensions and internal alterations to non-listed buildings. To find out more about permitted development rights visit the following link:

Permitted development rights withdrawn

In some cases we may have removed permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 Direction. This means that you may have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Article 4 Directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, but get in touch if in any doubt.

Find out more about Article 4 Directions, listed buildings and heritage sites on the following link:

Further information and advice

A guide to the planning application process is downloadable from this page. Any potential applicants are always welcome to contact planning to discuss proposed alterations to their home, or whether their proposal needs planning permission.

Contact us

We prefer enquiries to be emailed where possible

Send us a message
Write to us: Planning, Leicester City Council, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ